Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are the new presents worth restoring defaults for?

lotyboy

Hey, guys I just updated my Helix LT from 2.60 to 2.82 and saw in the instructions that in order to get the new presents from 2.80(?) I need to restore my Helix presets and then restore my backup (yes I made one) to get my custom presets back. My question is are the "new" presets worth the hassle? I never used any of the original presets and just immediately started crafting my own and downloading user-made presents since day one. But curiosity has me wondering if there is anything amazing in the newer presets I could be missing out on. What are your thoughts? 

I've never found a preset I liked and craft all mine from scratch too.  I believe the presets are more of a tech demo anyway.  The only new presets I found useful were the ones that control your DAW of choice.  If you don't do any recording, then I don't think you're missing out on anything. 

15 hours ago, lotyboy said:

But curiosity has me wondering if there is anything amazing in the newer presets I could be missing out on. What are your thoughts? 

We could all live to be 1000, and there will never be an "amazing" factory preset.... and that's not a knock on L6. Everybody else's suck too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, lotyboy said:

Hey, guys I just updated my Helix LT from 2.60 to 2.82 and saw in the instructions that in order to get the new presents from 2.80(?) I need to restore my Helix presets and then restore my backup (yes I made one) to get my custom presets back. My question is are the "new" presets worth the hassle? I never used any of the original presets and just immediately started crafting my own and downloading user-made presents since day one. But curiosity has me wondering if there is anything amazing in the newer presets I could be missing out on. What are your thoughts? 

I don't know about missing anything amazing but I think its worth doing a global reset after every upgrade anyway. Just seems to help prevent weirdness between firmware versions. Anecdotal I know but it has worked for me. So my routine is since I'm gonna do a global reset anyway I might as well get the latest Factory and Template presets while I'm at at it. There were some interesting Templates added to demonstrate the new Hotkey qwerty keyboard capabilities that were added in 2.80. The following is in the 2.80 release notes:

Hotkey Templates

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, HX Effects

To get you started with hotkeys, we’ve provided the following template presets in 2.80:

• Cubase
  • Pro Tools (Mac)
  • Pro Tools (PC) Logic/GarageBand
  • Ableton Live (Mac)
  • Ableton Live (PC)
  • Reaper (Mac)
  • Reaper (PC)
  • StudioOne
  • Cakewalk
  • MainStage
  • QLab
  • YouTube
  • iTunes
  • Spotify (Mac)
  • Spotify (PC)
  • Apple Keynote
  • First-person shooter video games
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I don't know about missing anything amazing but I think its worth doing a global reset after every upgrade anyway. Just seems to help prevent weirdness between firmware versions. Anecdotal I know but it has worked for me. So my routine is since I'm gonna do a global reset anyway I might as well get the latest Factory and Template presets while I'm at at it. .......

I do this too. Before updating firmware I make a full backup which includes global settings and IRs. Then I backup all custom setlists individually. Afer updating I restore Factory Setlists then make a backup of the latest versions of these.  Then I restore the full backup except for the new Factory setlists (you can select the setlists you want to restore). I then have all individual setlists, including Factory, in reserve if I ever need/want them.