Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The New Amp?

MIKEY9966

so line six new amp the price is not to bad, its going to sound good, lot of effects, but this if I am right to get the full advantage for this amp you have to have apple product well I have 2 android a phone and tablet, and it really sucks that I would have to drop more money then the amp is worth to use it, I am totally upset and think line six has dropped the ball big time the apple market is 13% and android market is 87% , what were they thinking? And do you think there will be other options to access the amp features? Llike I tunes works on my pc, I was going to buy this amp have saved the money but what a flop, I will spend my money on something else

They will no doubt create an Android app eventually and there are very good reasons why they along with most companys that make apps create iOS apps first, but market share is irrelevant to companies creating apps.  First of all it's installed base that is important and Android is a little over 50% on that, not 87%.  Secondly, it is  the installed base of the market Line 6 is targeting that most relevant.  Can't say what those numbers are, but it's likely even less in Android's favor (though still likely higher than iOS).  The real problem is that support for apps on Android means supporting all different variations of both the OS and the hardware.  That makes it a nightmare and explains why Apple still sells twice as much in apps and why iOS apps come out first so often.  I'm sure nobody gives a crap about mobile marketshare conversation around here, but those simple market share numbers that everyone spouts off are such a poor indication of anything important in cases like this, it is laughable.

It has little to do with likely AMPLIFi user's ears or taste but simply whether the featureset fits their bill.

It's not for me (maybe yet) but I am pretty convinced it's attractive for many (including users that don't play guitar).

Whether it catches more or less fire will drive whether we will see expanded versions that extend the target market.

All new product lines are test baloons and geared to at least recoup a portion of the investment in case it turns into a failure.

In my opinion this new concept is too far off the traditional advanced hobby, semi-pro, or similar needs driven user to support higher end features (and cost). If it finds solid footing in the lower end of the market, Line 6 can (and most likely will) expand whereever the money waves.