Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Small dektop midi controller for HX Stomp?

boris_plotnikov

I currently use ipad with TouchOsc app to control my HX Stomp. I have assortment of presets on my screen (PC midi message) and some "rotating" knobs for delay, reverb and pitch mix (CC midi message). I am not completely happy using ipad as sometimes it lost connection with HX Stomp, sometimes TouchOSC freezes, I need to worry about keep ipad charged (yes, I can charge it while using, but if battery is empty it takes time to turn ipad on). I'd like to have something small and tabletop like AKAI LPD8 with 6-10 knobs/pads for choosing presets and 4-8 rotating knobs to control certain parameters of blocks. AKAI LPD8 looks cool, but I am not sure is it possible to map pads as PC and how to connect USB output of LPD to midi or USB input of HX Stomp. Any ideas how to setup LPD8 or something alternative.

8swnnvivsy88oow480wookwoc.jpg

I use my Apple Watch to control HX Stomp. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html provides the MIDI I/O and MIDI Designer PRO to create MIDI interface to HX Stomp. The MidiWrist MIDI Controller app provides an interface to Apple watch. I've never used it live, but it does work pretty well.

USB midi requires a host... you cannot connect it directly from one device to another, unless one of the devices acts as a host. Unless I am mistaken, neither the Stomp nor the LPD8 is a host device so a computer, tablet, or dedicated host device would still be required to finalize the connection.

As has been said by codamedia, the HX Stomp doesn't serve as a USB host, which rules out pretty much all small sized MIDI controllers available.

I have been using my Android tablet more or less successfully for such things (but gave up on it as external MIDI control and snapshots simply don't work well together at all), but that seems to be no option for you.

I also own a Behringer BCR2000, works as well - but it's *huge*, so that would be no option, either.

It's really too bad - I have been looking for a small MIDI controller with real MIDI outs as well, but there's pretty much none left.