Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tried a helix PC+ combo yesturday and have a few questions

GrampaBob

Hiya, keep in mind it's a guy walks into a music store and demos the helix LT into PC+ 112 setup on factory settings.  I do use a HD500x into my blackstar with 4CM so am familiar with pods.

SO, can user patches on the helix change what speaker to use on the PC+ thru a link or something?  Or do I have to manually change the speaker on the PC+ ?  I'm not sure if the helix and PC+ communicate to each other like a voodoo commander type of deal having the pod changing amp channels per patch setup.

How does one use the helix and PC+ setup live.  Would you run helix to PC+ then to FoH so they get the helix thru the PC+ then into PA so they hear the speaker choice?

It sounded great for sure, very impressed.  The only thing that eluded me was that attack/pop you get from a tube amp when striking the strings.  Not sure if that can be tweaked to replicate.  I onyl spent like 20 minutes playing around thru presets fast.

Thanks for the read.

Hey Bob, the PowerCab PLUS has the L6 LINK connection, which I believe allows you to switch speaker sims (and other parameters) directly from the Helix. I don't use it because I have an HX Stomp which does not have L6 LINK. But if you have a floor or rack Helix, I assume that is how you would accomplish that.

As far as live setup, there are a fair number of options but yes you would probably run the Helix into PC+ and then PC+ to FOH via XLR out. If you are using the PC+ in Flat mode, the audience will hear your modeler's cab sim through the PA and so will you, on stage through the PC+. If you use a speaker sim in PC+, you will hear that un-mic'd on stage, while the PC+ will apply a mic simulation to the XLR out, which you can adjust in the settings. You can also load IRs into the PC+, in which case I believe both you and the audience will hear the same thing.

I'm no expert, so I will you link you to the manual, below!

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4107835d2fac0e63b03/application/pdf/Powercab Manual - English .pdf

Since the 2.8 Helix's update, it's possible to command PC+ via L6 link. Before it worked but with midi....

I have used the two methods. The midi possibility works differently. It calls back the preset you want.

With L6 link, you programm the ouput block in Helix but it's per preset or snapshot. It's cool too cause you can change all the parameters per songs. IF you want to have a different mic/distance or high/low cut for exemple. If you have two PC+, you can tweak all the parameters in the Helix's output block and  go from one PC+ to the other via L6 link to have stereo signal.

Plugged into FOH, as explained Rayray6, with model speakers the mic'd sim will be send via PC+'s XLR output.....