Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newly purchased HX effects question!

ifraser1

Hi all,

Bought an HX Effects a couple of days ago and have a question for you guys! 

Running it using the four cable method with my Cornford roadhouse 50 head, but I was wondering if I could insert a "return" (or something) in order to bypass my amps preamp. it's a single channel amp and doesn't really do clean very well so for the odd patch where I want to use clean for ambient swells, it would be nice to be able to have a proper clean.

Since using the 4 cable method I didn't insert a fx send/return in the chain and its clean and can add effects but im not sure if it sounds right?

Any help would be much appreciated, I've been longing for a decent clean tone and the HX may just save the day, as I love my amps overdriven sound. 

Ian :) 

You could do this but i wouldnt recommend it. By bypassing your preamp you might get a clean sound, but it wont be a nice sound. 

Also, switching to your ambient preset from another setting would be a rather radical change in sound and volume. So you'd want to stay in your ambient preset for the entirety of a song.

Have you considered putting a clean boost in your loop? That way you can push your preamp a little less, while getting the volume level you require.

If you've got 4cm wired right, use an FX Loop S/R and assign it a footswitch. That'll take your amp's preamp out of the circuit. You can always add an EQ on the same footswitch (toggle one on, one off) to fine tune your clean.