Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wanted To Need This, But Here's Who It's For....

Guitarzan

OK, so I've been a Line 6 customer for quite a while. Mostly play as a hobby, but have performed with bands. Current setup is an HD500 and an FRFR speaker. 

Thought that AMPLIFi might be interesting from the smartphone/tablet "drag and drop" perspective as far as programming and because it's an integrated unit.

But quickly realized after introduction yesterday ... wait - no expression pedals or foot switch capability? OK, now I realize what Line 6 is doing with this new entry...

1) Create a new category/family of product line for Line 6.

2) Don't cannibalize existing Line 6 product families.

3) Address a new part of the guitarist market.(Basically younger, more casual user)

4) Start market/product testing next generation programming and ease of use that eventually will make its way into next gen products "up the chain" like DT family etc.

I'm sure I could come up with more bullet points, but that's what I conclude if I look at this from a marketing perspective and not so much from a "what I would like" perspective.

Based on comments I've seen so far, hopefully Line 6/Yamaha hears the following points moving into the future for more serious guitarists:

* Drag and drop mobile smartphone/tablet programming wirelessly would be a fantastic improvement for POD HD and integrated Effects/AMP/FRFR units

* Ditto cloud uploading/downloading

* Expression pedal/foot switch needs to be included or a separate option

* Lots of interest in lower weight units for transporting

(Feel free to add your own)

But quickly realized after introduction yesterday ... wait - no expression pedals or foot switch capability? OK, now I realize what Line 6 is doing with this new entry...

It is compatible with the FBV controllers. The one thing I'm not completely sure on is whether or not effect can be turned on and off within a preset with the FBV, but you can control wah and volume for sure. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't off the ability to switch effects on and off, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Under the specs here: http://line6.com/amplifi/specs/

I've also seen a draft of the manual, and I know it's in there as well.

Phil -- can you shed a little light on the manual you saw?  Was it a draft of an actual full manual -- or was it just the "Pilot's Guide"?  (It sure would be nice to know if they're really working on a actual manual.)

Also, while we're at it -- it appears with your posting credits you'd be the person ask the following:  Are there any other Line 6 products that may have similiar software functions as the Amplifi? Do you think it would be worthwhile checking out those product manuals to get some idea as to how to decode the Amplifi capabilities/features?  Thanks!  AE

Wow - Darkcloud - calm down. I don't think charlyg was implying or inferring anything. All he did was to provide additional information, namely that this humming problem does not exist on all the devices. That is helpful information and hopefully will encourage debugging activities to look beyond the device itself for other possible causes. He wasn't suggesting that the humming doesn't exist for others, nor was he minimizing the problem.

Chill a bit.

Phil -- can you shed a little light on the manual you saw?  Was it a draft of an actual full manual -- or was it just the "Pilot's Guide"?  (It sure would be nice to know if they're really working on a actual manual.)

Also, while we're at it -- it appears with your posting credits you'd be the person ask the following:  Are there any other Line 6 products that may have similiar software functions as the Amplifi? Do you think it would be worthwhile checking out those product manuals to get some idea as to how to decode the Amplifi capabilities/features?  Thanks!  AE

What I've seen is the Pilot's Guide, which I assume is what comes with the amp. I'm not sure why Line 6 hasn't posted the PDF of it up yet. I don't know if they're planning on a more in-depth manual or not.

silverhead, why would you say "calm down." His post doesn't help at all. There is no emotion in MY thread. I'm calm - just stating a fact... I don't now how you can read, interpret and assume so much into another's post, I did not see him state any of that, nor do I see the inference when he simply stated "I don't have the hum."  How could you get all that from "I don't' have the hum." Posts like that do not help the person answering, only frustrates them.

By the same token, how can you accuse him of making an unhelpful, accusatory and inflammatory post? That's what you seem to have read into it. At least my interpretation of his post is not personally offensive, and also illustrates how it is, in fact, helpful.

he can post what he wants... just like you can... 

i believe your aggravated reaction that he replied at all... was what warranted the "calm down" remark...

his contribution is as welcome and appreciated as yours.... whether or not you or I find value in it.

silverhead, why would you say "calm down." His post doesn't help at all. There is no emotion in MY thread. I'm calm - just stating a fact... I don't now how you can read, interpret and assume so much into another's post, I did not see him state any of that, nor do I see the inference when he simply stated "I don't have the hum."  How could you get all that from "I don't' have the hum." Posts like that do not help the person answering, only frustrates them.

Charlyg:

WHY would you post "I don't have the hum." Are you inferring the guy is lying? what value do you add by saying inflammatory and accusatory remarks?

What I've seen is the Pilot's Guide, which I assume is what comes with the amp. I'm not sure why Line 6 hasn't posted the PDF of it up yet. I don't know if they're planning on a more in-depth manual or not.

Thanks Phil for clarifying what you saw as a draft. They actually posted the Pilot Guide a few days ago but I don't consider that to be the full manual as promised in the "Congratuations on Your Purchase" sheet. The Pilot Guide is a Quick Start and only covers the hardware features on the amp and not any of the software/app processes and features.  I still hold out hope for a proper manual for this product.  AE

I'm guessing the more serious guitarists are already looking to kemper or axe fx. I know I'm very unimpressed with the hd500 updates, the hd500x, and now this heap of lollipop.

Anyone have any experience with the Eleven Rack? I am looking at getting myself a copy of ProTools 11; which is around $600. But, I am seeing "scratch and dent" deals on the Eleven Rack  - which does go new for $900, but is being marked down a bunch, which includes a copy of ProTools, as I understand it... Just in terms of, does it hold up against the HD500, AxeFX, Kemper, etc?

Currently, Sweetwater has the Eleven Rack + ProTools bundle on sale for $699.. I guess the box itself should be worth at least $99, if I was already going to plunk down $599 for ProTools 11 anyway..

many people buy the eleven rack combo and sell the hardware on ebay...

end up being like a 350$ rebate!

Anyone have any experience with the Eleven Rack? I am looking at getting myself a copy of ProTools 11; which is around $600. But, I am seeing "scratch and dent" deals on the Eleven Rack  - which does go new for $900, but is being marked down a bunch, which includes the full copy of ProTools 11, as I understand it... Just in terms of, does it hold up against the HD500, AxeFX, Kemper, etc?

Currently, Sweetwater has the Eleven Rack + ProTools 11 bundle on sale for $699.. I guess the box itself should be worth at least $99, if I was already going to plunk down $599 for ProTools 11 anyway..

wow... someone is getting a great deal with that trade!

but yeah for the time being the beans dont have much used market value... it will bounce back up once the blowout is done...

probably be around the 200$ mark again... no guarantee... but i've seen that before.

many people buy the eleven rack combo and sell the hardware on ebay...

end up being like a 350$ rebate!

Yeah, I can see that.. I mean, Sweetwater has the Eleven Rack + ProTools for the same price as just ProTools.

Guitar Center has the just ProTools for about $25 less. Makes one question the pricing across the board..

Something isn't worth what it says it is! A FREE Eleven Rack??? Weird.. But, I need ProTools, so I won't turn down a free gadget to go with it!

Looks like the $699 sale is limited to just Sweetwater.

Everywhere else I see it, is closer to $900 for the bundle..

They are also offering some kind of "interest free" credit card option on the $699 bundle

Eleven Rack + ProTools

The bundle that includes the Voodoo Labs Ground Control is currently $999:

(Ground Control by itself is $399)

Eleven Rack + ProTools + GroundControl