Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

In-ear monitors/hearing protection for lives sets and rehearsals

ABailey12

13 hours ago, ABailey12 said:

My sister keeps insisting that I get fitted for custom in-ear monitors like these because she and her husband has a friend who makes them and works for this brand called Big Ear. Should I get a pair of these or do you guys recommend something else?

Thanks!

I've had numerous pairs of custom fit earplugs over the years, and they're well worth the money if you want to keep your hearing, but I've never had custom fit monitors. The obvious question is what do they sound like? Custom fit plugs are nice and comfy, and you can probably safely assume that these ones would isolate well... but if you end up hating the way they sound, then what? I doubt they'll take them back.

We recently switched to in-ears, and I went with a relatively inexpensive pair of Shures... they came with a whole bunch of different sized foam tips that isolate quite well, are comfortable, and they've got the moldable wires that wrap over the top of your ears so they don't fall out on stage. I've got no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

one link is to youtube, and it talks about hearing loss from outside noises. if you are ampless, you don't really have outside noises anymore. 

i am not clicking on the other link, but i assume it is to some sort of advertisement for an IEM. Which, if you ask me, has nothing to do with the youtube video. 

but...

to answer the question.... 

know what you need before you get them.