Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powering Line 6 Relay and Helix Floor

kylotan

Hello all - I have a Helix Floor unity and would be interested in using the Line 6 Relay G10S with it. However, I don't want to have to find 2 power outlets each time.

My understanding is that I can't power the G10S via USB from the Floor unit. But are there any cunning workarounds? Special cables that could go from the Helix to the G10S? Pass-through adapters that will let me take 9V somehow from the 240V (UK) connection to the Helix?

A power strip...

But seriously, that's probably what you gotta do.  While you're at it, think about getting a power conditioner such as this one.  It will eliminate potential hum from the power source, as well as give your gear better protection from surges that a standard surge protector.  It works well for me and fits in the Helix Backpack.

Other than that... you could power the G10S via USB from a power bank.  I've never done it with the G10S receiver but I have done it with the G10 receiver.  Just make sure that the power bank can output enough amperage for the G10 (I think its 2.6A?)

Don't know if they have these for 240v - 

https://smile.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-Splitter-ZWACPQAG-14/dp/B00FRODUR4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3DO2UARYCJROF&keywords=power+cable+splitter+2+way&qid=1574869669&sprefix=power+cable+splitter%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-1

Consider what chasingMango said about power conditioner/surge protector. Downsizing is all well and good, but have you heard the saying "Penny rich, pound poor?"

Splitters like that are fine, except the G10S doesn't want a full-power cable like that, so I'd need another thing in there.

14 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Consider what chasingMango said about power conditioner/surge protector. Downsizing is all well and good, but have you heard the saying "Penny rich, pound poor?"

I have no road crew and don't get paid for gigs, so I'm keeping my load-in and load-out minimal. Thanks anyway.

19 minutes ago, kylotan said:

I have no road crew and don't get paid for gigs, so I'm keeping my load-in and load-out minimal. Thanks anyway.

Don't know what kind of places you play, but keep in mind that computers tend to be finicky about electricity, and the Helix Floor is a pretty expensive computer. Without power conditioning you could be back here asking "Why does my Helix floor do these weird things/crash/lockup/make noise?" or, worse yet, why did it wind up completely fried during that thunderstorm. A small powerstrip/surge suppressor can fit in your gigbag or guitar case, and it's relatively cheap insurance, as well as a very logical solution to needing two wall sockets, possibly on the same circuit as the fluorescent beer signs. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Is the Helix end of the cable the same as in the US? Maybe something like this 'Courtesy Plug'?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotACYUS--truetone-acy-us-courtesy-plug-iec-cable

Add a USB Power Adapter to the US plug that can handle the 240v (many, though not all, will) and use a USB cable to power the G10s via the USB jack on the back.

(Ex - https://smile.amazon.com/Certified-Charger-FONKEN-Universal-Compatible/dp/B07DF782WQ/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=240v+usb+power+adapter&qid=1575241898&sr=8-22)

I have one of those Furman conditioning power supplies (as well as a Fender rack-mounted unit), but neither helped with the line noise issue I was having (ended up buying a HumX that did the trick). But, a surge suppressor is still a good idea. A small one can go in any bag:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-BSV102af-SurgeCube-Surge-Protection/dp/B00OLTJSZY?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1&sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1