Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Metal patches (not on Customtone)?

-THRASHER-

HI!

Does anybody know where to get free, good sounding Metal patches for the HX Stomp?

I guess there are plenty for the Helix, but they don't work (dear Line 6 - should anybody accidentally browse this thread - a conversion tool would be ideal).

The patches on Customtone are few and mostly awful.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, -THRASHER- said:

...free...

The patches on Customtone are few and mostly awful.

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

As for patches created on other Helix devices... they'll work just fine in the Stomp, provided that they doesn't have more than 6 blocks in the chain.... but you can expect that to be a be a problem with many patches created on units without that 6 block limit... even if a "conversation tool" existed, it wouldn't help you in such cases.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:31 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Could you record some bits of DI guitar, upload them somewhere and point me to some YT videos using a tone that you're after?

I'm not a metal player myself but would like to take the challenge. I'd need a proper DI of a suitable guitar, though.

hoffe, das passt so

Jo, werd's mal ausprobieren. Viel steht und fällt anscheinend leider mit dem Attack, der ist bei dir etwas weniger prägnant. Aber mal sehen.

Sorry for the german, translation:

Yeah, will give it a try. IMO the attack would be the main thing which is less present in THRASHERs DI file. But we'll see.

There's some almost drone-like sound in your DI track. I have no idea where it's coming from, but as soon as you add gain, it becomes very apparent. Listen to the attached file. Note: No, this is *not* meant to sound even just similar to the original, but it illustrates that drone-ish sound. With that sound being so loud, it's impossible to match the original.

Metalpatchclone_01.mp3

On 11/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, -THRASHER- said:

I guess there are plenty for the Helix, but they don't work (dear Line 6 - should anybody accidentally browse this thread - a conversion tool would be ideal).

I know that "free" appears to be the budget you are after, but FYI.... if you own a Stomp, you can get Native for $100. Not only does it have full Helix capabilities, it also works great as a conversion tool. 

Now... I also know you likely don't want to hear this, but presets rarely work! Nobody owns your fingers, your technique, your guitar, your taste, your monitor setup, etc... The best thing you can do is learn how your hero's setup their gear, then create your own presets! 

The sample you posted of Exodus... is that Gary Holt? If so... look no further than a Marshall Plexi jump, push it hard with a boost or overdrive of choice in front of it then throw an LA Studio Comp after the amp/cab to smooth it all out. The 2204 MOD Model could likely get you there without the added boost but the tone might not be as rich.

I really think it's a lot about the playing to get the individual "chuggs" out properly. Once that is managed, finding a proper amp shouldn't be too much of a deal.

And fwiw, I gave that riff a try but didn't exactly manage to get much closer. Fortunately, my oh-so-valid excuse would be that this isn't my cup of tea (I'd like to be able to hammer it out tighter, though, should possibly practice my palm mutes a bit more...).

On 12/7/2019 at 11:51 PM, -THRASHER- said:

Would be epic if you came up with a better one.

I just loaded up your preset.... IMO it wasn't too bad, just a little "shrill" for lack of a better word.

Here is what I suggest with that preset...

• Remove the EQ at the end of the chain (or at least turn it off to test)
  • Go to the CAB section of the amp....
    • Change the MIC from a 57 to the 121
    • Change the distance to about 3".... maybe a little further

That change of mic and distance will warm up the sound substantially.... the EQ should NOT be needed. 

I don't have time to try and do a proper match, but I had a play around and I got closer with these settings:

Scream 808: Gain 4, Tone 8, Level 8

L6 Badonk: Drive 4.5, Bass 2, Mid 0, Treble 7, Presence 9

10 band EQ (replacing existing EQ block): -2dB @ 500Hz, -2dB @ 1KHz, -5dB @ 4KHz, +6dB @ 8KHz, all others 0dB

There's a lot of mid-scooping there and I struggled to get the right blend of top-end. If I were to continue I'd probably experiment with different amps - maybe the ENGL or the Mesas, although the album your clip is from used a Marshall JCM800, so that's an option too. That would be how I'd try and pin down the scooped mid-tone - then I'd try the various condenser mics with different cabs to get the right top-end.

I think I got the rhythm technique Holt has down, but he might have used EMGs on that album while I got Instrumentals, which are similar in output to a Duncan JB, so the top-end of passives and I hit them strings pretty hard.
And Sneap likes using a compressor for the palm mutes specifically, so that changes everything too.

Thanks guys, I'll check everything out!