Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit - portable install on a USB drive?

JHarp

I'd like to be able to have an instance of HX Edit installed onto a thumb drive so that I can utilize the program on different computers in cases where I do not have admin access to install the program. 

This would be for PCs, Windows 7 or 10. 

I would not have thought to even try this, but I recently installed Reaper which has a check box on the install to do a 'portable install' for the same reasons listed above.

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

When you download HX Edit from Line 6, it installs a very small runnable program that, when executed, downloads and installs the HX Edit program and all the necessary components to the computer.  Theoretically you could save that small executable for Windows 7 and 10 to a thumb drive and execute that to download and install HX Edit and all the components to the computer.  You may have to enter your ID and Password for Line 6 which theoretically could end up being stored on that computer though.

Fwiw, it'd be absolutely great if that was possible. A version of HX Edit working without any installation that is, like a self-contained program.

As is, when you don't own a laptop (or just don't want to carry it with you), you won't be able to, say, load your patches on a rental Helix you might have to use on whatever gigs.

And it's not even all that much of an esoteric thing to happen. Some years ago, I was playing 2 weeks of shows in Tokio and the rental service delivered a GT-10 (which is what I was using back then). Now, I did have my laptop and all patches dumped onto it with me, but these days I'd likely prefer to just go there with a tablet.

Anyway, I think it'd be quite sufficient if Line 6 offered a feature reduced editor for iOS and Android. Something like a librarian, allowing you to load and manage patches and IRs would likely be sufficient, maybe along with an "easy edit" kinda thing, giving you access to block parameters but maybe not the entire layout.

I mean, pretty much everybody has a smartphone, for Android there's USB on-the-go cables to connect to the Helix, for iOS there's the camera connection kit (the next version of iOS devices will likely even allow you to connect things without that).

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, andre_ginho said:

Sometimes we don't have our own pc or we are not allowed to install anything, so it would be amazing to be able to have it on a USB Drive.
Dear Line 6 nice people, PLEEEEEASE make our wish come true as new year's gift.  :)

It's really not something Line 6 is in charge of.  HX Edit (like most installable programs) depends on a lot of underlying runtime components in the operating system that must be installed and installing those components is a matter of having administrator rights to the computer on both a PC or a Mac.  It's all part and parcel of the security system of the computer which you can't bypass...for very good reasons.

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say that I was able to make HX Edit portable (using Cameyo) but as others have pointed out, you still need to have the drivers installed on the host computer.
Still, the HX Edit software is now portable and can easily be moved around on Flash drive and run from there.