Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ux1 Gearbox Sound Problem

Daaaaa

My old computer just took a crap, it had XP and my new one has windows 7. My problem is, I cant separate sound between my headphones and speakers like I could with my old system. Everything either all plays on the speakers or through the headphones. My old setup would play everything through the speakers except when I use the gearbox/Audacity. The only time I want to use the headphones is when I am recording or playing back through the UX1. I can't seem to find the correct settings. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks D 

Thanks. Since posting, I have been told that with windows 7 I will have to every time manually switch back and forth to go from speakers to headphones. I still like my XP better for a number of reasons....

Off the original topic. I have gotten that response a few times when I mention Audacity. I would be interested in looking into a new DAW, but there are so many with so many versions, I don't know where to start. I would want something that's not too overwhelming as I am still learning. I hear Pro tools all the time, is there a simple version (and cheap) of Pro tools for someone starting out?? Any suggestions???

i'd stay away from pro tools... only because of its steep learning curve and your stated level.... it is industry standard and undoubtedly a great product though.

i would recommend mixcraft... free trial, and 75$ to buy if you like...

and also reaper is a good option... 60$ and a free trial that never expires.. (honor system)

many other great ones as you say... but these 2 offer the best experience at a bargain price...

nearly any of the others start at 100$ for their "lite" or "crippled" version...

but of these are full versions (there is a studio version of mixcraft which includes more plugins etc)

It doesn't support pretty much anything that requires licensing to support, except via a workaround...

the "ASIO" support is through ASIO4ALL which is not really ASIO support at all... its a workaround...

it's free... its got that going on...

haha

sometimes thats all that matters.

I will look into those. Now for discussion sake, and this will sound like a newbe question for sure. But what is so bad about Audacity compared to other basic versions? So far I have pretty much done everything I have wanted with it.

Can't argue with free.. hehe  I not afraid to spend some if I can get something truly useful. I guess my biggest downfall is that I don't know enough to know what I really need and keeping things somewhat simple. I will start by checking out the Mixcraft.

Now an additional question. Mics??? I have a couple cheap basic mics, a SM58 and a Behringer copy XM8500, which I like. Now I am thinking about a low cost condenser mic.  Any suggestions? 

low cost is all relative...

but i'd look at an audio technica 2020, or an akg perception 120...

a little upgrade from the common and low cost MXL options you'll surely see.

(and they aren't terrible...)

Can't argue with free.. hehe  I not afraid to spend some if I can get something truly useful. I guess my biggest downfall is that I don't know enough to know what I really need and keeping things somewhat simple. I will start by checking out the Mixcraft.

Now an additional question. Mics??? I have a couple cheap basic mics, a SM58 and a Behringer copy XM8500, which I like. Now I am thinking about a low cost condenser mic.  Any suggestions? 

If the budget allows, i do think it's the better mic... 

but its kind of like buying a tv...

when you see them all side by side.. there's always going to be differences...

when you're at home watching it... its just a tv....

meaning you'll probably be happy with either one...

i personally tend to try and get the best my funds will allow. :)