Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Since 2.82, I’ve noticed that the Litigator has a hum.

hideout

I don't know if it has always been there or not... but you are right, it is certainly there.

Immediately I reached for the amps "hum" control and that did nothing, then I realized it seems to be attached to the "ripple" control. Turning that down gets rid of it although I don't really know what effect that may have on the tone. With just a few strums of the guitar (not a full test) I don't notice any difference with ripple up or down, but YMMV. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I don't know if it has always been there or not... but you are right, it is certainly there.

Immediately I reached for the amps "hum" control and that did nothing, then I realized it seems to be attached to the "ripple" control. Turning that down gets rid of it although I don't really know what effect that may have on the tone. With just a few strums of the guitar (not a full test) I don't notice any difference with ripple up or down, but YMMV. 

Ah.  Thank you, Codamedia! Will try that as soon as I can. 

From all I know, both hum and ripple are just mixing static sound in, without any impact on the core tone. Might be authentic for whatever amp models but I wish there was a global option to turn them to zero all throughout. If my real amps would've done that thing, they would've seen an amp doctor.

Having said that, turning both off is the very first thing I do each time I select a new amp.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

See https://www.ampbooks.com/mobile/classic-circuits/class-AB-ripple, hum and ripple can contribute a lot to good tone. Essentially the interaction between the hum and ripple frequencies create additional overtones.

But that's entirely different from what the Helix offerings do. Can't exactly tell for ripple, but hum is just static noise.

And it's even absolutely getting in the way of some patch layouts as, different from other noise introducing factors, it will still be present when there's no input signal. As a result, in an A/B amp switching scenario, you will also have to program an amp bypass or a merge block "bypass", which otherwise isn't required.

• Upvote 1