Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk FX to Vox AC4TV

hellafax

Hey hey!

So, I purchased a Firehawk FX a couple months ago with the plan to replace my aging POD X3 bean.  Initially I was quite happy, as I didn't leverage many features of the POD - I essentially used only FX, and for Mic in/out.  My plan was to do the same with the Firehawk (without the Mic).  

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm using this quite right.  With my POD, I would use FX and just never configured an Amp block - easy!  However, the Firehawk doesn't seem to work/sound quite right without an Amp block.

My thinking is I have two challenges:

1. Sending signal direct into a small tube amp without an effects loops (was previously more than usable with the POD)
  2. Incorrect volume settings on the Firehawk

The amp models aren't something I *need*, but if I get a pleasant sound I'll use them.  Presently using the Firehawk at about 75% master volume, so that I don't clip before I want to.

Any thoughts? 

On 12/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, hellafax said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm using this quite right.  With my POD, I would use FX and just never configured an Amp block - easy!  However, the Firehawk doesn't seem to work/sound quite right without an Amp block.

I'm kind of confused about what you're running into here. So are you trying to plug your guitar straight into the Firehawk, and then the Firehawk straight into an amp? 

You wouldn't generally want to use an amp block for that. 

Some questions I have:

1. What is your setup? Is it like I described above?

2. What did you do to remove the amp/cab block in the Firehawk?

Hey Hey! Thanks for the reply - sorry for the confusion.

I probably should have been clearer - with my POD I would use only Effects, with no amp blocks, and it worked out good.  When I moved to the Firehawk FX I tried a similar setup and found that the sound wasn't quite right, so I've been using Amp blocks in addition to effects.

To answer your questions:

- My current setup is Guitar > Firehawk > Amp.  No effects loop, so straight in.

- To remove the amp blocks - when configuring a patch, I just didn't enable any amp/cab.  Essentially, just effects - Comp/Distortion/Trem/Delay/Reverb.

The Firehawk *is* configured to be in Amp Mode (switch in the back).  It sound OK, but always seems hot.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that your Vox AC4 is based on the boost channel from a AC30. So whatever you gonna throw at it from the Firehawk is gonna be colored by pre-amp of the AC4. Also make sure you are using a cabinet simulation (should be off when u have no amp model active). Also worth checking your Firehawk level mail volume (red) and the guitar signal (white, press on the big knob on the floorboard). Try to tweak those those two make it behave better with your amp. From what i've heard/tried is that having the guitar input (white) on 3/4 or 3 a clock-ish and then adjust the main volume (red) to manage overall volume.