Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Control Knobs Fragile?

Zhorell

Hey All, 

Bought a new HD500x, without plugging the unit first thing I noticed are the plastic control knobs, they feel 

very fragile? worried this would easily break or come loose?

Anyone experience trouble with these knobs? probably have to use this unit very gently lol, for the price point

I wonder why Line 6 did not focused a bit more on this part, I can only imagine if someone step on it by accident..

Good thing I'm loving this tone machine!

I have a POD HD500. After 2 years of use the knob 3 and 4 started to malfunction. As you go forward, the time you reach certain numbers everything move backwards and you have to move 2000 times forward to go to that desired number as the display continue to go backwards on every number past a certain point, which varies. Sometimes it happens a few times but others it happens all the time and that's really frustrating...

I have a POD HD500. After 2 years of use the knob 3 and 4 started to malfunction. As you go forward, the time you reach certain numbers everything move backwards and you have to move 2000 times forward to go to that desired number as the display continue to go backwards on every number past a certain point, which varies. Sometimes it happens a few times but others it happens all the time and that's really frustrating...

That's what I'm afraid of've.. I don't think it's built to last for years, "enter" & "4 way nav pad" (poorly constructed) are probably the first one to go before the "multi function knobs" which feels very soft like a toy..

That's what I'm afraid of've.. I don't think it's built to last for years, "enter" & "4 way nav pad" (poorly constructed) are probably the first one to go before the "multi function knobs" which feels very soft like a toy..

This is just the way things are built these days.  I don't like it either.  I have a POD HD500 and when they came out with the 500x, they said there was better footswitches.  Didn't make me feel that good about mine lol...

With a product like these, you have what 6 knobs, 4 switches and one 4 way "hat" switch doing roughly 2,257,659 possible things between them to program a machine as complicated INSIDE as an HD POD is....something is bound to break with that kind of use.  I use the POD HD Edit as much as possible and one of the reasons is saving wear and tear on the moving parts.  Seriously.  Yeah, it's easier to see and deal with as well, but I have no particular usage issue using the machine itself.

Buddy of mine has Boss GT10 and comparing it with Line 6 on built quality (NOT the TONE) Boss are much rock solid and will last longer.. I'm not bashing Line 6 but for price point with these units they could have done a much better job on the hardware construction.

Buddy of mine has Boss GT10 and comparing it with Line 6 on built quality (NOT the TONE) Boss are much rock solid and will last longer.. I'm not bashing Line 6 but for price point with these units they could have done a much better job on the hardware construction.

Well, consider this as you go though; Boss only gives you the interface on the machine itself to make patches, right?  By contrast, Line6 gives us a very nice HD Edit program to tweak our patches without ever touching the POD once it is connected by USB, so the build quality isn't as much of an issue.

remember, once you get your patches worked out, or more specifically once you are playing a gig -- you won't be touching anything but the footswitches anyway, right?

Not saying Line6 gets a pass on flimsy switches and knobs but I'll bet the cost of developing the companion spoftware (neither cheap nor easy BTW) is factored into the cost of the POD itself, hence the tradeoff being less robust knobs.  Make sense?

Well, consider this as you go though; Boss only gives you the interface on the machine itself to make patches, right? By contrast, Line6 gives us a very nice HD Edit program to tweak our patches without ever touching the POD once it is connected by USB, so the build quality isn't as much of an issue.

remember, once you get your patches worked out, or more specifically once you are playing a gig -- you won't be touching anything but the footswitches anyway, right?

Not saying Line6 gets a pass on flimsy switches and knobs but I'll bet the cost of developing the companion spoftware (neither cheap nor easy BTW) is factored into the cost of the POD itself, hence the tradeoff being less robust knobs. Make sense?

I guess I didn't thought about the HD edit software? Yes! it does help a lot with that tool, thanks for the help! So #noob here lol

Well, consider this as you go though; Boss only gives you the interface on the machine itself to make patches, right?  By contrast, Line6 gives us a very nice HD Edit program to tweak our patches without ever touching the POD once it is connected by USB, so the build quality isn't as much of an issue.

Not saying Line6 gets a pass on flimsy switches and knobs but I'll bet the cost of developing the companion spoftware (neither cheap nor easy BTW) is factored into the cost of the POD itself, hence the tradeoff being less robust knobs.  Make sense?

Yep...there will always be a corner cut somewhere. They could make the knobs bullet-proof, but then we'd be paying $650 for he thing, and we'd all be bitching about that instead, lol