Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BEST IR?

veka062

2 hours ago, veka062 said:

What are best IRs on Ownhammer?

And what you think about this pack

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=183&products_id=403

I've heard a lot of good comments about this pack, but it's hard to evaluate without knowing the styles and genres of music you play.  But it covers a nice selection of cabs that are fairly useful in a lot of rock and potentially other genres so it's likely a good set and you can fill in with others later if you want to.

I've not compared products so I'm not going to offer value judgements, but I bought RedWirez because I was impressed by the Scuffham plugin which apparently uses RedWirez.

I couldn't be happier.  What I particularly liked - I understand OwnHammer are the same - is the way they labelled the IR using the language an audio engineer would use.  This helped me talk to my engineer friends and choose the ones I was interested in using.  For me that turns out to be a ribbon 2" from cap edge for clean sounds and a 57 cap edge off axis at about 1" for dirty.  If you want something a bit fuller for a solo I was told to select something closer to the centre of the cap.  Since then my guitar tracks get practically no eq in any mix and the sound from onstage monitors is great.

RedWirez also comes with a brief PDF document that describes the sweet spots for particular mics in terms of distance and positioning relative to the speaker cap, which really ought to be in one of the helix manuals because its pretty foundational.

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, veka062 said:

What are best IRs on Ownhammer?

And what you think about this pack

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=183&products_id=403

There is a lot of coverage in that simple package.... IMO, it's a great place to start. 

That said... there is no "BEST"... IR's are just about options and we will all prefer something a little different from each other. You may want a mic placed directly at the center, I may want a mic placed 4" toward the edge and off axis. IR packages give you all these options. 

Learn the lingo... understand the lingo. Once you do, the hundreds (or even thousands) of IR options included in each package begin to make sense. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

There is a lot of coverage in that simple package.... IMO, it's a great place to start. 

That said... there is no "BEST"... IR's are just about options and we will all prefer something a little different from each other. You may want a mic placed directly at the center, I may want a mic placed 4" toward the edge and off axis. IR packages give you all these options. 

Learn the lingo... understand the lingo. Once you do, the hundreds (or even thousands) of IR options included in each package begin to make sense. 

Wait!!!  Are you saying you may need to add to your knowledge in order to master new technologies???!!!!  Maybe even do some research and learn some new things???!!!!

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!  

• Haha 1