Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Moving From Vetta 2 To A 500 Or 500x, Opinions Please

pauliezx

Hello guys,

I would like some opinions on this please. I know sound is subjective but you guys will know what I mean.

I've had my Vetta 2 for a good few years now, I love the way it's all in one box and easily operated with the floorboard pedals, but as versatile as it is, I can't quite get the level of overdriven distortion out of it I want, it just doesn't quite have that cut in the sound. You can get a fizzy overdriven bassey kind of tone

but that's not what I'm after. I'm an 80's hard rock fan but I like the modern hi gain sound a lot of the 80's hard rock bands use live, now as well as back then.

I've not tested a pod hd500 but I have seen a lot of demos on youtube and the like, and it does seem to me like the distortion tones are a lot more overdriven and crunchy, therefore I'm thinking of buying one and selling the Vetta.

I'm guessing there must be folks on here who have owned Vetta's and now Pod HD's, so particularly interested to hear from anyone in that position.

Also, having not owned either Pod HD, is it worth going straight in for the 500x or would a cheaper used 500 be a smarter buy?

Thanks Guys

Charlie_Watt's advice is good, especially if you plan to use the HD device frequently in different venues for gigs. The footswitches will get a lot of wear and tear, and the better ones are a good investment.

The other side of the coin is that if you are primarily a hobbyist (like me), using the device less frequently and moving it less often, the original footswitches are probably plenty sturdy enough. I know they've never been a problem for me. And for the same hobyyist reason I don't need the 20% more DSP. If that description fits you then you could save a few bucks by going with the 500 rather than the 500x without compromising anything.

• Upvote 1

Greetings !!!

I used my Vetta ll head faithfully for 5 years and that amp served me VERY well. I got A LOT of compliments on my sound. But like you I was looking for more out of my tone and bought the POD HD 500 to replace my old POD XTL as I was starting to do more home recording and was so impressed with the tone that within about a month I'd bought the DT50 head and matching cab. Vetta was retired in short order. Its a serious step up from the Vetta in tone. The what i really like is that the POD HD and the DT50 are both stand alone pieces of gear. I can take home my POD after band practice and still have MY tone when i get home and plug into my computer. Not the case with the Vetta.

So i would say DO IT !!!!! I'm super glad i did !!!!!