Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Helix Flavour

LeeWalker

Hi All

Really want a Helix but am never probably going to have enough £ to be able to afford it.

Current set up is I mostly play in front of my computer using a Boss GT-001 into some reasonable speakers. I do have a VOX Valvetronix+ 50W which i use to gig/practise when out and about.

I was thinking about getting the HX Effects and the new Boss Katana Mk 2 (100W probably) but was thinking about all the different amp modelling bits and pieces i could use in the HX Stomp but really worried about running out of space of the HX Stomp.

Anyone currently using the Katana/HX Effects combo? What does it sound like? I think that there are enough amps contained within but the HX Stomp would have a lot more. 

Am i right in thinking that a HX Effects + HX Stomp = Almost a Helix? Would it be worth getting the Katana and the Effects and then getting the Stomp at a later date?

Was looking at Powercab but they seem to be very expensive although not seen anything Katana vs Powercab

Help me choose a solution here.

Lee

1 hour ago, LeeWalker said:

Am i right in thinking that a HX Effects + HX Stomp = Almost a Helix? Would it be worth getting the Katana and the Effects and then getting the Stomp at a later date?

Buying the HX and the Stomp is pointless... the cost of both is the price of the Helix LT. May as well just save up for that.

Why bother with the Katana? They aren't bad, but the modeling is NOT up to the L6 level (IMO). You already have a decent amp for when you need an amp! 

If you put the money saved from a Katana along with the money saved from an Effects or Stomp you are getting close to the cost of an LT. Find a way to get the LT then focus on upgrading the amp/monitor situation in the future. (just my suggestion) 

51 minutes ago, LeeWalker said:

Dont i need a FRFR type amp to get the benefits of amp modelling though?

It is nice to have, but that can be purchased down the road.  But that's the nice thing about modeling - play into your computer speakers, play into your studio monitors, turn off cabinet modeling and play into your amp, play direct to Front of House.  You have a lot of options, do what you can for now, expand later if you so choose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeWalker said:

Dont i need a FRFR type amp to get the benefits of amp modelling though?

A BOSS KATANA is NOT an FRFR, it's a modeling amp. You already have a VOX Valvetronix+ 50W... the Katana is a similar product.  

I have nothing against the Katana but IMO it would be a bottleneck for the Helix platform.

If you bought an LT you already have a few ways to monitor it until you can research and afford a better FRFR solution. 

• Use the same speaker you are using for your current BOSS setup
  • If the VOX has an effect return or power amp in... turn off the cab modeling on the Helix and plug into that
  • If the VOX has a "flat amp option" like the Katana does, you can just use that - or at least try it. 
  • If the VOX doesn't have a return or "flat amp" option... plug into the front end and experiment with the "pre-amp"models in the Helix instead of full amps.

I would agree with the others.  Your best bet is to save up for the LT. If you need a backup or alternate rig, the Stomp could be an option.  That's my current setup...other than the 6 block limitation, the Stomp can do everything the LT does in terms of amp models, effects, etc. and the presets are interchangeable (again, taking the block limit into account).