Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use backpanel jack for instrument input?

halest

Hello, sorry if this is a duplicate, I'm not a regular forums user...

I've received my Helix Rack today and was updating it to the current firmware and setting it up and was wondering if it would not be possible to use on of the backpanel jacks as a regular instrument in.

The background is that it sits below my wireless which of course outputs on the back an instrument level signal and I would like to avoid laying a cable out to the frontpanel instrument in. I was checking all the global in/out options but could not find anything like this. As far as I understand it, the aux in expects a line level input.

On a sidenote: Does anybody know what happens if you feed an instrument level signal through a lne level input port? I would guess it would sound a little "washed out"?

Thanks in advance and best regards

AFAIK, the AUX input acts like the Input Pad, in that it's intended to be used with active pups.

I just tried moving the cable from my G10 from INPUT to AUX. Didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm pretty sure the Floor (mine) and the Rack work the same way in that respect.

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs, the first knob is "Guitar In Pad". By default it's OFF. Turn it ON. Hear the difference?

Now get two cables. Connect one to INPUT, the other to AUX. Switch back and forth. Hear the difference?

I couldn't hear a difference. I don't use high gain or active pickups.

If you use high gain or active pickups, maybe you hear a difference?

Bottom line, go ahead and connect your wireless to AUX. If it sounds good, it is good!

The Aux In is a low impedance input in addition to being line level. It shouldn't be a problem with a wireless system as the output of the wireless receiver is buffered and can drive a low impedance input. It's really only an issue when plugging typical high impedance passive pickups directly into the jacks.