Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pickup, piezo and neck mods for Variax standard

podhd500xcr

Planning on taking my variax through a series of upgrades. And I have a few doubts.

1. Magnetic pickup upgrades: Any special considerations here in terms of magnetic pickups upgrade?

2. Piezo upgrades with Graphtech GHOST Saddles, I have seen the upgrade done on JTV69 but haven’t seen a standard with piezo upgrades 

3. Will a strat neck fit a variax standard?

Appreciate any help!

On 12/7/2019 at 1:02 AM, podhd500xcr said:

Planning on taking my variax through a series of upgrades. And I have a few doubts.

1. Magnetic pickup upgrades: Any special considerations here in terms of magnetic pickups upgrade?

2. Piezo upgrades with Graphtech GHOST Saddles, I have seen the upgrade done on JTV69 but haven’t seen a standard with piezo upgrades 

3. Will a strat neck fit a variax standard?

Appreciate any help!

I can only help with question #3, and unfortunately the answer is no. The pocket dimensions are not the same as a Strat, and even if you found something else that fits, it's likely that you'd have scale/intonation issues that you might not be able to adjust your way out of.

#1- Keep the pick-ups DC/Bulk Resistance (DCR) between 6k-Ohms and 8k-Ohms.

Pick-up companies will have that spec in their data sheets for the pick-up product.

#2- Same piezo, but I think they are in ghost saddles, we switch to that for the Standard, if I recall.

#3- What cruisinon2 said.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, psarkissian said:

#2- Same piezo, but I think they are in ghost saddles, we switch to that for the Standard, if I recall.

Are you saying the Standard is an LR Baggs Piezo (x-insert) in a Graphtec Ghost Saddle? 

I find it confusing that graphtech would make a saddle to fit the X-Insert when it has it's own piezo saddles? (The PN-8000's fit the Variax)

Whoever their supplier for parts are probably supply more than one company, then assembled here in the US by Graphtech.

Our 89F guitar bridge is assemble for us by them, for specifically for the 89F. I chat about this each year at their trade show booth,

with the guy who assembles our 89F bridges. I'm not certain if they supply us the saddles or if we use the same source they do.