Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Effects Disabled/Grayed Out

mefix

I tried to create an Adam Jones Sound with the HX Stomp FW Version 2.82.

Adam plays a Marshall 100W Plexi and 2 Diezel VH4's.

I chose a split and added a Marshall Plexi (Brit Plexi Nrm) with a German Ubersonic in parallel (Amp+C in both cases), see attached Screenshot.

First, I was really impressed by the sound itself.

I thought "great, now I only need a booster, Flanger and Delay and I'm done.

Well, no.

All effects/blocks are grayed out and I can't select them.

Why???????????

Screenshot 2019-12-07 at 12.22.52.png

WTF? Seriously?

I managed to kind of get my desired setup, but with different amps.

Instead of a Marshall Plexi + the German Ubersonic, I used Line6 models.

I used the Line6 2204 mod and the Badonk.

So it seems that amp models use different amounts of processing power, why is that?

What's the difference between a Marshall Plexi and a Line6 Badonk in terms of processing power?

And I'm curious:

Do "bigger" Helix units have the same issue? I mean, they've got more than 6 available slots...

4 hours ago, mefix said:

And I'm curious:

Do "bigger" Helix units have the same issue? I mean, they've got more than 6 available slots...

Yes... but the bigger units also have two processors with their own paths so you can distribute the DSP power accordingly. 

4 hours ago, mefix said:

WTF? Seriously?

Yes... seriously! If you are running the amps in parallel is it safe to assume you are using "stereo" versions the effects prior to it? If so... you might gain a little more DSP by changing those to MONO version... if that is an option. 

4 hours ago, mefix said:

So it seems that amp models use different amounts of processing power, why is that?

What's the difference between a Marshall Plexi and a Line6 Badonk in terms of processing power?

There are many variables... but the short answer is yes, different amps use different amounts of horsepower. 

Here is a three tab Excel Speadsheet someone posted a while back.... it's a guesstimate, but may give you an idea of the amount of DSP each amp/effect uses. Keep in mind it is not up to date with the 2.8 firmware. 

Helix DSP Values.xlsx

22 hours ago, codamedia said:

Yes... seriously! If you are running the amps in parallel is it safe to assume you are using "stereo" versions the effects prior to it? If so... you might gain a little more DSP by changing those to MONO version... if that is an option. 

I even only used Legacy effects, which I presume are in fact mono as well, right?

22 hours ago, codamedia said:

Here is a three tab Excel Speadsheet someone posted a while back.... it's a guesstimate, but may give you an idea of the amount of DSP each amp/effect uses. Keep in mind it is not up to date with the 2.8 firmware. 

This sheet was really helpful, thank you!

It even matches my observations.

When I used the "German Ubersonic" (7.5) parallel with the "Brit Plexi Jump" (8.6) it didn't work.

Funnily enough, Line6's own Amp models use up significantly less power.

The 2204 mod has 6.3 and the Badonk has 5.4 and they sound GREAT!

44 minutes ago, mefix said:

I even only used Legacy effects, which I presume are in fact mono as well, right?

Some are mono, some aren’t. All the Legacy compressor and drivers are mono. All of the Legacy reverbs are stereo. Many of the Legacy modulations and delays are stereo.

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 8:26 PM, mefix said:

WTF? Seriously?

I managed to kind of get my desired setup, but with different amps.

Instead of a Marshall Plexi + the German Ubersonic, I used Line6 models.

I used the Line6 2204 mod and the Badonk.

And I'm curious:

bigger helix units like the rack helix can have like 4 chains of 8 effects and i dont think there is any problem with dsp on those.

If you are using 2 amps you can pretty much say goodbye to effects, i amp and most effects should be fine as long as they are not stereo tape delays and reverbs as they take up alot of dsp, and you shouldnt really have a problem with just effects unless they are like all stereo effects