Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab Plus or PowerStage 170

sweet725

I was hoping someone one here has tried a power cab and also a seymour duncan power stage into a 2x12 or 4x12 with their helix. I am digging my helix, but currently using a headrush frfr. The frfr is fine for home use, but once i play with people and crank it up, it just sounds like a cheaper two way speaker.

There is no where for me to test out a powercab in my area and you tube doesn't really do any justice to actual in the room sounds a lot of times. I play mainly heavy distortion duel rec type stuff on vintage 30's. I was debating a powerstage 170 and a 2x12 with vintage 30's or a power cab plus 212.

Just wondering if anyone can compare tone and feel. If the power cab plus has the same tone and feel, or at least really close, it would be nice to have the option to change speakers. I do miss the feel of a real 2x12 with the headrush. I apologize if this topic has been disused on here as I can not find it. If it has please direct me and ill read on!!!!

Thanks!!!!  

• 1 year later...

I am surprised no one has responded to this.  I was hoping they would (reviving old thread).

I have a 1967 Fender Bassman with a 1x12 cab and just picked up a HX Stomp.

I also have a limited budget.

I am trying to figure out if I get a small pedal power amp such as a SD Powerstage or something smaller and cheaper and run it into my 1X12  . . . OR . . .  do I sell my 1X12, get an attenuator / load box (I need this because I am open to selling my 1X12 cabinet but NOT my Bassman head and will need this to plug the Bassman into the Powercab if I go this route) and a Powercab 112???

Any input is much appreciated.  

Michael M.