Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB device not recognised Windows 10 error message

BBD_123

Not at all a problem, but a puzzle... When I switch on my Helix floor unit, my PC always flags up the 'USB device not recognised' error... but Helix and HX Edit work perfectly

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone else have this?

Been going on for at least a year, and maybe longer, through several W10 builds (currently on 1903).

8 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Yeah I have the same thing.  It never affects any operations.  I suspect it has to do with Line 6 not registering their driver with Microsoft.

Thanks!

I suspect the same because everything just *works* but discovering someone else has the same issue is... reassuring.

Possible causes for this error according to Microsoft:

This issue can be caused if any of the following situations exist:

• The currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt
  • Your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB external hard drive and Windows
  • Windows may be missing other important updates hardware or software issues
  • Your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt
  • Your external drive may be entering selective suspend
  • Your PC motherboard may need updated drivers

I would start with making sure I was not plugged into a USB hub. Plug into the back of your PC instead of the front which is often a hub. Next try unplugging(not resetting or stopping and starting) your computer as this is probably the easiest fix if it works. You can also try using the device manager to adjust the "selective suspend" setting on the USB device such that Windows will not power it down when idle. Another solution worth noting is looking for unused hidden USB devices and deleting them, details on how to do this as well as several other troubleshooting methods are in the link below:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

Microsoft's link for resolving this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2654149/error-usb-device-not-recognized-when-you-try-to-access-a-usb-external

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 11:43 PM, HonestOpinion said:

I would start with making sure I was not plugged into a USB hub. Plug into the back of your PC instead of the front which is often a hub. Next try unplugging(not resetting or stopping and starting) your computer as this is probably the easiest fix if it works. You can also try using the device manager to adjust the "selective suspend" setting on the USB device such that Windows will not power it down when idle. Another solution worth noting is looking for unused hidden USB devices and deleting them, details on how to do this as well as several other troubleshooting methods are in the link below:

Thanks for this, but all done, long ago. It seems to be a 'false positive', if an error message can be so described :-)

18 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Thanks for this, but all done, long ago. It seems to be a 'false positive', if an error message can be so described :-)

Well done, no one can say it is for lack of trying! A rather morbid analogy but that explains why they call it "troubleshooting" rather than "troublekilling".

• Like 1

Given I have two completely different Helix floor units plugged into two completely different computers each getting the same message, I'm thoroughly convinced this is a phantom message based on the fact that the driver isn't registered with Microsoft and isn't searchable and available for download from Microsoft's driver database which is what Windows refers to if it can't identify a device signature, and has nothing to do with the functionality of the Helix interacting with the PC.  The fact is, the message doesn't even get written into the Windows event log it's so insignificant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Given I have two completely different Helix floor units plugged into two completely different computers each getting the same message, I'm thoroughly convinced this is a phantom message based on the fact that the driver isn't registered with Microsoft and isn't searchable and available for download from Microsoft's driver database which is what Windows refers to if it can't identify a device signature, and has nothing to do with the functionality of the Helix interacting with the PC.  The fact is, the message doesn't even get written into the Windows event log it's so insignificant.

Interesting that Microsoft does not mention an unsigned driver as a possible cause for this error. And btw, what's up with this, why isn't the driver signed? Driver signing helps to ensure Windows compliance.

20 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

The fact is, the message doesn't even get written into the Windows event log it's so insignificant.

Yes, I noticed that.

20 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

And btw, what's up with this, why isn't the driver signed? Driver signing helps to ensure Windows compliance.

It is a bit odd, I have to admit.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...