Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about using Helix Rack and Control vs Floor

litesnsirens

I’m considering switching from Helix Floor to the Rack + Control setup.  Currently, the floor covers all my midi needs over a USB cable to my ipad and then midi out to my VoiceLive Rack.  I recognize that since the floor is self-contained there could be a difference.  Does the Control, which I would now be connecting to the iPad to via USB, send midi to and from the iPad either directly or via a relay to the Helix and back?

Currently when I choose a song (In the bandhelper app) on my iPad it pulls up my preset for Helix.  But I also control the app from the footswitches on Helix via midi note messages that I have mapped.  Things like next song, previous song, restart...etc.  WIll I have the exact same midi functionality plugging directly into the control USB vs directly into the Helix USB.  I ask because apparently the Axe FX 3 and FC controller can’t do this.  So I don’t want to take anything for granted

The connection appears to be a CAT 5 type cable in XLR housing, is that correct?  I don’t suppose it also powers the Control?

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

The CAT5 cable powers Helix Control from the Helix Rack device. The USB connection is from the Helix Rack (not Control) device; use it exactly as you used it from the Helix Floor device. There should be no change to functionality.

Is the USB type B input on the back of the Helix Control and extension of the USB type B input on the back of the Helix rack via the CAT5?   I’m thinking I’d need to be able to plug the iPad, which will be on my mic stand, into the Control as the Rack could be too far away, at some gigs anyway.  The longest USB C to B cable I could find on Amazon is 5m or 16’ and as it’s going to have to travel not just the length of the floor but up to the device on both ends could be an issue.   To that end does the Line 6 Digital Interface Cable come in lengths longer than 16’?

Here's an important (in this context) comment in the Helix Rack and Control manual, specifically re: the rear panel I/O on th Control device:

USB Reserved for potential future use. 

In other words, the USB jack on the Control device currently does nothing. All the USB features live in the Helix Rack component.

4 hours ago, litesnsirens said:

...  To that end does the Line 6 Digital Interface Cable come in lengths longer than 16’?

That looks like the same cable that you'd use for a Varix, in which case, if you search for 'EtherCon' cables, you will find them in lengths up to at least 200'. Note that I didn't want to spend $40 on the Variax cable, so I bought a cheaper 10' EtherCon cable. The cable works fine, but it's pretty stiff compared to a regular guitar cable. YMMV depending on brand.