Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Helix custom driver" is used for what?

larjim

The message on Catalina compatability update indicates "The Helix custom driver (which adds support for additional sample rates) does not yet work correctly."  

What exactly does this impact?  What is the custom driver used for/by?  

I am currently running a Helix Effects, using 2.7 firmware, Mojave with HX Edit 2.70.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, larjim said:

The message on Catalina compatability update indicates "The Helix custom driver (which adds support for additional sample rates) does not yet work correctly."  

What exactly does this impact?  What is the custom driver used for/by?  

I am currently running a Helix Effects, using 2.7 firmware, Mojave with HX Edit 2.70.

Thanks!

Hi larjim,

As you spotted in the notes about Catalina compatability posted in the notes from Line 6:

Drivers

• All currently supported drivers and devices work as expected except for the Helix custom driver.

• Helix class compliant audio works as expected.

• The Helix custom driver (which adds support for additional sample rates) does not yet work correctly.

Further Note:
Core Audio Driver Settings (Mac® OS X only)

To use Helix as an audio interface for Mac® applications, it is not necessary to install any additional driver. Helix will utilize the Mac® computer's "Class Compliant" USB driver automatically simply by connecting to your USB port. Helix will then appear as a selectable Core Audio device within the Mac® Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup panel and/or directly within your audio and multimedia applications. However, note that this Apple Class Compliant driver offers strictly 48kHz native sample rate operation. If you prefer to use a different native sample rate (or if your particular DAW application requires it), you can optionally download and install the Line 6 Mac® Core Audio driver from line6.com/software. This Line 6 driver offers 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88kHz or 96kHz sample rate operation.

Therefore: If you are a Mac user and don't have the custom driver installed you will not be able to use any other sample rate than the standard Apple Class Compliant/Helix rate of 48kHz

If you want to be able to use the additional sample rates (44.1, 88.2 and 96.0 kHz) for recording and playback you must install the custom driver.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• 2 years later...

This is still an issue in 2022.

Have used my Helix as the audio interface on a Windows 10 machine (which is fired now). I was moving to a 1999 2019 iMac, intending to switch to using Studio one there, but I am getting the same error message after installing Line 6 Monkey. So, either I am stuck with 48K, or switch to Logic Pro? 

Maybe it has something to do with the info I found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

"...Apple has been working with developers to transition their apps, and in 2018 Apple informed them that macOS Mojave would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS. ..."

Edited by sboggs71
typed wrong year for iMac model.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:40 AM, sboggs71 said:

a 1999 iMac

Um, really?

On 10/3/2022 at 7:40 AM, sboggs71 said:

I am stuck with 48K

The latest Helix driver is not necessarily compatible with older MacOS. For example, on El Capitan I'm getting the best result with v1.0.7 from 2019, available via line6.com/software

• Upvote 2

On 10/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, PierM said:

Ahah, that's the same thing I thought at first

I actually used to have two of those: one I bought new in early 2000 which was a major upgrade for me from a then already "antique" Macintosh LC 475, but I replaced it a year later with a G4 tower. (I actually still have the latter two, and they both still work!) A few years later I bought another used one for my wife which we've then replaced with a used eMac G4. For basic office purposes, the iMac G3 were great, at least those silent ones without a fan. 

/offtopic

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, lou-kash said:

I actually used to have two of those: one I bought new in early 2000 which was a major upgrade for me from a then already "antique" Macintosh LC 475, but I replaced it a year later with a G4 tower. (I actually still have the latter two, and they both still work!) A few years later I bought another used one for my wife which we've then replaced with a used eMac G4. For basic office purposes, the iMac G3 were great, at least those silent ones without a fan. 

/offtopic

Yeah, I had (and still have somewhere, grabbing dust) a '2000 iMac G3, the blue one. Was in my office at that time, and never skipped a beat for its entire working life. 

• Like 1

@PierM

@lou-kash

Lol  :-{}  -  Good gravy, I meant "2019" iMac, this one.

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Support was able to provide "the special Helix driver to enable higher sample rates..." (for 

macOS 11 Big Sur (Intel/Apple Silicon) and greater.

For macOS Catalina or earlier, please use driver 1.1.0 ). Here is the driver I needed:

Line 6 Helix Driver.1.5.0.dmg

IT WORKS!

I now have 96kHz available as an option for the Helix in Studio one.

I must have had temporary blindness, as you can find this driver at the downloads page, by selecting from the drop-down menus:

• "Choose Hardware": "Helix"
  • "Choose Software": "drivers
  • "Choose OS": "Mac OS X"

While installing this driver you will need to reduce your security settings, which was easy. Here are instructions for newer Macs ( I didn't read these, since for Monterey, it was easy).

Here is the link support provided to download the particular "1.5.0" driver I needed:

https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=10711

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2