Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab 212+ noisy/hissy?

VecGS

I have purchased a Powercab 212+ and it just seems noisy/hissy. In the quiet room I'm practicing in, I can hear noise from 6-10 feet away. With the volume turned to zero. Connected to a Helix via the digital AES connection, with the Helix's volume also turned to zero. (Verified that I have the latest firmware, etc.)

My expectation with a $1400 FRFR speaker is that when I turn it on with no signal and the volume pegged at zero I should have a quiet piece of gear.

This seems to be getting worse over time as well.

Is this the experience that others are getting or do I have a dud?

Do you have it connected to a computer via USB? Even then, though, there shouldn't be any noise passing through with the PC's volume knob turned down. I just turned my 112 PC+ on, and it's dead quiet even if I turn the volume knob all the way up (without anything connected). Even with the Helix connected via L6 Link, it is pretty quiet. It certainly sounds like yours may have a hardware issue.

Even with nothing connected at all there's still a lot of noise. I tried both with a computer and/or iPad connected to the Helix, but other than checking for firmware updates I've not connected anything USB to the PC+.

The funny thing in my case is that regardless of where I have the volume knob, the noise is exactly the same. It's just a background noise that always exists when it's on.

• 11 months later...

I have 112 plus has similar hiss.  I measured it with a db meter is about 40db so it is quieter than my AC.  But, It considerable more noticeable when I tilt the power cab back aka when it is directed at your ears.   I'm not sure if this is normal.  

I have two PC212+ and use L6 Link for my connection.  I have not noticed any hiss from either amp.  I'll need to double check though.

Is it possible you're not using a real AES/EBU cable (110 Ohms)?  Maybe you're just using a regular XLR microphone cable, and the incorrect impedance is making the digital signal noisy?