Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Poor "Old" Helix Floor and 212 Power Plus.....

john0255

Hi!

I bought a Helix Floor right when it came out. It's a fantastic unit, giving me great flexibility. For the last two years, I have carefully crafted patches for each guitar in my collection. Many hours spent having a blast. 

I am finally ready to update my live sound in the band I'm in, taking a personnel change to integrate the Helix into the group. I purchased a Power Cab 212 Plus. This was when I realized the limitations of my knowledge concerning Helix and hope that I can somehow use the existing patches. to get true stereo output through House (PA), I need to run the 1/4" pair to the stereo channel. I purchased a L6 Link Cable to run the Helix into the 212 in stereo. 

I now see that I have to update my Firmware to utilize the L6 cable. This appears to be a bad solution, wiping out my hard work with a device that is hardly two years old so I can utilize the 212 to its fullest potential.

Is there any way that I can update my poor "old" Helix floor from 2017 to be able to use the L6 cable from Helix to amp without destroying or losing use of old patches?

You can keep your patches through the update. Hopefully this idea isn't what's kept you from updating the firmware on your Helix. What firmware version is your Helix running? The instructions as far as how to go about doing it will be a little different if you're on a really old firmware version. But, for sure, you won't have to lose your patches.

Thanks for your help Gentlemen! I will give this a try. I'm not the best at this, as you can tell.

I should backup the existing Helix first, then update, then reinstall the data?

Should I use the Line 6 Updater?

I'm afraid I'm a complete novice at this.

I have 2.2 firmware. I am not sure how to do a backup on the original, but I have all the files saved in my computer

7 minutes ago, john0255 said:

Thanks for your help Gentlemen! I will give this a try. I'm not the best at this, as you can tell.

Should I use the Line 6 Updater?

You should create a backup first. The instructions can be found here:

49 minutes ago, john0255 said:

I have 2.2 firmware.

A lot of great things have happened since 2.2... 

In general, your tones should not change, but there are a few thing you need to be aware of. 

1. Follow those update instructions very closely. The latest updates have very specific instructions depending on where you are updating from.
  2. Don't forget to backup your presets first as people have already mentioned. 
  3. If you run into issues on the update "don't panic". People here will help you through it
  4. Once you get up and running, you may find your reverbs are more intense (louder, wetter). IIRC... it was the 2.6 update that did this, but that should be the only real audible difference you may encounter. 

Good luck... 

15 hours ago, john0255 said:

Not for nothing, but you should be backing up your patches regularly. Helix is a computer, and computers crap out and fail at the drop of hat, individual patches get corrupted, etc etc. It can happen at any time, for no discernable reason... even if you've had a flawless experience with it for two years, that doesn't guarantee that it won't $hit the bed tomorrow. Without backups, you run the risk of losing some, if not all of your work, even if you never plan on updating the firmware.

12 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Not for nothing, but you should be backing up your patches regularly. Helix is a computer, and computers crap out and fail at the drop of hat, individual patches get corrupted, etc etc. It can happen at any time, for no discernable reason... even if you've had a flawless experience with it for two years, it doesn't guarantee that it won't $hit the bed tomorrow. Without backups, you run the risk of losing some, if not all of your work, even if you never plan on updating the firmware.

Great point. It is the 21st Century after all :)