Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp with Headphones (Shure se215)

DR2C

I can't say whether it will work with the Stomp. I've used "commercial" impedance headphones with my Helix just fine, just got a lot more volume a lot lower on the dial. That being said, I HATED the 215s when I had them. I was using them for IEM buds and they were shrill, could never get the seal right even with aftermarket pads, and (luckily, for me anyways) the right ear stopped working after about 2 months. Honestly, my $10 JVC "Sport" earbuds were more comfortable and sounded better. 

But, like anything else in gear, everyone has different expectations/needs so you'll never know until you try. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaPaLeWon said:

Ive been perfectly happy using them for music with my laptop and various smart phones. But again, I dont know anything about headphones and what makes them good or bad. Im happy listening to music through apple ear-buds, so I dont know what that says about me..

There are two certainties here... actually, make that three:

1)There is exactly ONE way to find out whether or not you'll be happy with the end result of any gear purchase... buy it and use it. Relying on someone else's experience or opinion about any piece of gear is a complete and utter waste of time, as this is all entirely subjective. What works for me may or may not work for you, and neither one of us is "right" or "wrong".

2) No matter what headphones, earbuds, or studio monitors you choose, there will be a learning curve when you get the Stomp, and a period of experimentation... possibly a lengthy one depending on how tech-savy you are, and whether or not you have any prior experience with modeling. You'll have to learn how the unit works, and figure out how to get the sounds you're after. Do not expect instant gratification, or for the sounds you've heard in YouTube videos to come pouring out the minute you open the box. That simply does not happen for the overwhelming majority of users.

3) Obsessing over it to this extent is a waste of energy. Buy what you can afford, when you can afford it, and make the most of whatever you get... but driving yourself nuts about the decision is pointless. Nobody can predict the future, and worrying about whether or not it's "gonna work out" just robs you of the present.... plus, unless you rely on your gear to make a living, we're talking about toys here. It's not a life altering decision, no matter what happens.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DaPaLeWon said:

Ive been perfectly happy using them for music with my laptop and various smart phones. But again, I dont know anything about headphones and what makes them good or bad. Im happy listening to music through apple ear-buds, so I dont know what that says about me..

If they sound good for music you'll probably be fine. I didn't even like them for casual listening. Maybe I have weird-shaped ears or something, because I can't keep Apple earbuds in my ears if I turn my head, talk, smile, squint....hate those things too.

• Like 1

I agree with crusinon2 that you will only know when you try them but you should not be stressed.

I have the shure 215s and for the price they sound very good.  I was using them with an expensive wireless monitoring system.  I also have studio headphones AKG 240s that are about the same price.  They have more bass response because they cover your ear.  For playing at home I would recommend the AKGs.  You would still be able to hear your wife calling you sometimes.  With the Shure's you probably won't hear anything else but your guitar.  I have expensive custom 3 driver IEMs now and I actually preferred the 215s in some ways.  But it's a different animal when you are on stage.  I use the custom IEMs when I play live and when the monitors and mains are not on, the custom IEMs sound very brite.  When the sound kicks in, i have bass again and everything sounds great.

As Gunpointmetal said above, if music sounds good through them then your guitar probably will too.  I wouldn't use the custom IEMs to listen to music on a plane or anything.

I hate hearing my electric guitar acoustically when playing so I like having headphones that cut out ambient noise.  Just my preference and something else to consider. .

• Like 1