Sign in to follow this  
z4kn4f31n

HX Stomp to PA with XLR adapter safe?

Original Post:

Hey guys, new stomp user here. Trying to figure out the best way to setup my rig. My usual way for playing live is using Kemper’s main XLR outputs straight to FoH.

Since the stomp doesn’t have those, I thought I could use the Balanced outs with a couple of these (linked below) and do the same thing as I’ve been doing with my kemper:

https://m.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_1672_steckadapter.htm?o=20&search=1576247190

However I’ve been reading about some issues with phantom power on the helix line. Up to now I haven’t been able to figure out if the HX stomp is affected by the same issues or if my setup would work just fine in any situation. (Even in case of global phantom power from mixing console)

please help a fellow newbie out!!

======UPDATE======

Updating the info for anyone that googles this interested in doing the same:

I got the HX stomp to make an ultra portable rig for gigs that don't need a ton of sounds

I bought two "Neutrik 6.35mm male - XLR male (NA3MP)" in order to recreate the usual way i play live with my kemper (using the two XLR main outs straight to FoH)

Spoiler

large_14124963-4718.jpg.ffaf82775b93a41c1ab70b6900de26dc.jpg

Since there were some concerns about Phantom Power I tested everything on my audio interface. Recorded the same track with enabled Phantom Power on both channels and with disabled phantom power. I can conclude phantom had no effect at all on my tone.

Thanks for you precious help, hope this post helps some more people out there! Cheers!

Edited by z4kn4f31n
UPDATED INFO

If your really want to be on the safe side, you can always run into a DI box... then phantom power isn't an issue even if there's a goon at the board who forgets to turn it off.

• Like 2

Yes I’m aware of the DI as the best solution. I am requesting a stereo di every gig, I just want to have a very compact backup solution with me in case I play somewhere where there aren’t enough DIs. (God Forbid)

I read somewhere that HX stomp is the only board in Helix range that is safe to use with phantom. Is that true?

Phantom power won't affect the Stomp, so, yeah it should be safe. The one caveat is that you should always be careful with phantom power and TRS plugs. There's a small chance that plugging in or removing the TRS plug will cause an arc across the terminals, and that could, at least theoretically, damage something inside (this is why people always say to exercise caution with phantom power and patch bays in studios). If you plug the adapter into the Stomp first and then make the connection to the XLR cable, that would ensure against anything like the above happening.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Phantom power won't affect the Stomp, so, yeah it should be safe. The one caveat is that you should always be careful with phantom power and TRS plugs. There's a small chance that plugging in or removing the TRS plug will cause an arc across the terminals, and that could, at least theoretically, damage something inside (this is why people always say to exercise caution with phantom power and patch bays in studios). If you plug the adapter into the Stomp first and then make the connection to the XLR cable, that would ensure against anything like the above happening.

Thank you very much that was very helpful. So indeed the Stomp is the only board from the helix line whose tone will not be affected by phantom? Seems odd but I guess it’s probably because it’s newer.

To clarify the steps for safe usage:

1) insert adapter plugs in Stomp trs outputs

2) connect 2 xlr from adapter to FoH

3) don’t care if phantom is on or not

correct me if I’m wrong!

16 minutes ago, z4kn4f31n said:

Thank you very much that was very helpful. So indeed the Stomp is the only board from the helix line whose tone will not be affected by phantom? Seems odd but I guess it’s probably because it’s newer.

To clarify the steps for safe usage:

1) insert adapter plugs in Stomp trs outputs

2) connect 2 xlr from adapter to FoH

3) don’t care if phantom is on or not

correct me if I’m wrong!

Yeah, that would be good. I should have mentioned it earlier, but it's always good practice to keep phantom power turned off until everything is connected.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yeah, that would be good. I should have mentioned it earlier, but it's always good practice to keep phantom power turned off until everything is connected.

Awesome. Let me clarify one last thing about the DI option; in the case of using a stereo di, do the cables going from Stomp to the DI have to be TRS? Or standard TS instrument cables would work just as good?

Thanks for all the great help up to now, got a much clearer picture. Going to get my neutrik TRS/XLR adapters right now!

5 minutes ago, z4kn4f31n said:

Awesome. Let me clarify one last thing about the DI option; in the case of using a stereo di, do the cables going from Stomp to the DI have to be TRS? Or standard TS instrument cables would work just as good?

Thanks for all the great help up to now, got a much clearer picture. Going to get my neutrik TRS/XLR adapters right now!

If you're plugging into a DI, you can just use regular instrument cables, as the 1/4" DI inputs will be unbalanced anyway. Using TRS cables wouldn't be of any benefit (wouldn't hurt anything either).

• Like 1