Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects processing sound without any blocks

hkremer

I don't know if HX effects goes somewhere else, I couldn't find it in any list. I've recently noticed that HX Effects process sound pretty significantly without any effects blocks, e.g. on a New Preset with no blocks in it. What's doing that? There's more midrange and highs and it's hotter than on bypass, even pushing the amp into overdrive a bit. So if this is the case, everything else I add is riding on this tone, and I'm compensating for the actual sound of it one way or another. Also, there's no way to get a clean tone in a preset (no blocks turned on). Did I miss a setting, or just not understanding some aspect of it? Thanks

HX Effects shouldn't be adding anything to your tone when all effects are bypassed. Check your global settings and make sure the output level is set to Instrument and not Line. For most guitars you'll want the want the input set to Instrument as well, unless you have really loud active pickups, in which case you may want to try Line.

More info can be found about global settings and levels on pages 38-39 in the manual.
https://line6.com/support/manuals/hxeffects/

22 hours ago, hkremer said:

I don't know if HX effects goes somewhere else, I couldn't find it in any list. I've recently noticed that HX Effects process sound pretty significantly without any effects blocks, e.g. on a New Preset with no blocks in it. What's doing that? There's more midrange and highs and it's hotter than on bypass, even pushing the amp into overdrive a bit. So if this is the case, everything else I add is riding on this tone, and I'm compensating for the actual sound of it one way or another. Also, there's no way to get a clean tone in a preset (no blocks turned on). Did I miss a setting, or just not understanding some aspect of it? Thanks

Are you comparing plugging straight into your amp versus plugging into the HX Effects and then going to your amp? Because the HX Effects has a buffered output, there could be some difference in tonality between those two situations even with all the blocks bypassed or a blank preset in the HX Effects.

It's basically because of what Brian Wampler describes here:

Thanks for the replies. Correct, the difference is when I plug in directly vs. going through a new preset without any blocks. It's a significant difference though, enough that I probably couldn't use these (BIAS Amp) amp settings with anything but the HX EFX because I have to roll off so much treble and gain on the amps. 

When I set it to digital bypass and I bypass, it's the same increased output and high end gain. When I set it to analog bypass and I hit bypass, it's the actual sound of the amp. 

15 minutes ago, hkremer said:

When I set it to digital bypass and I bypass, it's the same increased output and high end gain. When I set it to analog bypass and I hit bypass, it's the actual sound of the amp. 

Are you sure that the inputs and outputs are set to instrument level? There really shouldn't be a level increase even in DSP Bypass mode.

43 minutes ago, hkremer said:

The level is probably an error in the I/O settings as suggested above. 

The High end difference is likely the buffer at play... take a look at the Wampler video phil_m posted yesterday. 

IMO.... You are viewing the problem in reverse!

The HX is not ADDING high end making it too bright. Your cables (in true bypass) are probably devouring all your high end! 

• 2 years later...