Jump to content
hurghanico

The good times of Line6 forum website are over.

Recommended Posts

Maybe I'm not the only one who cares and noticed it but over time different handy/useful features that this site originally had are lost one by one a little at a time.

A sort of gradual impoverishment.
I apologize for the sincerity and for being so direct, but the more time passes, the less I like this site.


Just some of the useful lost features of which I still have memory:
- the ability to preview the settings of individual patches saved in customtone
- a section where approved documents made by forum members could be published for common sharing
- the ability to embed demo audio tracks (eg from soundcloud) into posts for direct playback.
- the ability to embed video clips (eg from youtube) into posts for direct playback.

 

All things that in the past made this site surely more interesting and appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Maybe I'm not the only one who cares and noticed it but over time different handy/useful features that this site originally had are lost one by one a little at a time.

A sort of gradual impoverishment.
I apologize for the sincerity and for being so direct, but the more time passes, the less I like this site.


Just some of the useful lost features of which I still have memory:
- the ability to preview the settings of individual patches saved in customtone
- a section where approved documents made by forum members could be published for common sharing
- the ability to embed demo audio tracks (eg from soundcloud) into posts for direct playback.
- the ability to embed video clips (eg from youtube) into posts for direct playback.

 

All things that in the past made this site surely more interesting and appealing.

 

Dunno about the audio clips, but there's an embedded YouTube clip in this thread from just a couple weeks ago:

 

 

 

As for the other stuff... depends on what you're looking for I guess. I gave up on Customtone long ago, and I'm not sure I'd have much use for "approved documents" either. One man's meat is another man's poison...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

Dunno about the audio clips, but there's an embedded YouTube clip in this thread from just a couple weeks ago:

 

 

 

As for the other stuff... depends on what you're looking for I guess. I gave up on Customtone long ago, and I'm not sure I'd have much use for "approved documents" either. One man's meat is another man's poison...

 

Apart from my (as I clearly stated) and your personal preferences about this site functionalities, lately I've been able to embed youtube video clips only a few times.

Sometimes it works and sometimes not, I don't know what it depends on. Last time I tried to embed here a youtube video clip in a post it didn't work.

 

As for the audio demos it has been so long since their embedding doesn't work anymore here that I can't remember when this functionality has been lost.

Whether you care or not, some other sites that deal with topics similar to those covered here are more fully equipped, which thing is appreciable from my point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of things competing with forums nowadays. They aren't the front line sort of thing they used to be. I think way more people will look to social media when they have a problem compared to posting on a manufacturer's forum. Not saying that's a good thing, but I think it's just a reality. So Line 6 has to adapt to where the customers are, so I don't know how realistic it is to expect to invest a ton of time and energy into upgrading forums. This software is something they buy from a third party, and I don't know how difficult it is to make changes. It would be nice to have emojis back...

 

It's like any business. The things that don't actively make money for a company are way more likely to be put on a back burner than other projects. In some ways, it's a little surprising that manufacturers' forum are still a thing at all going into 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phil_m said:

There are a lot of things competing with forums nowadays. They aren't the front line sort of thing they used to be. I think way more people will look to social media when they have a problem compared to posting on a manufacturer's forum. Not saying that's a good thing, but I think it's just a reality. So Line 6 has to adapt to where the customers are, so I don't know how realistic it is to expect to invest a ton of time and energy into upgrading forums. This software is something they buy from a third party, and . It would be nice to have emojis back...

 

It's like any business. The things that don't actively make money for a company are way more likely to be put on a back burner than other projects. In some ways, it's a little surprising that manufacturers' forum are still a thing at all going into 2020.

 

I clearly see your point, and undoubtedly it is a fact that nowadays social media (which personally I don't like using more than much) are used for about everything, probably more than everything else.

 

Like you, neither I know how difficult and expensive it would be for Line6 to make changes/improvements to their forums to make them fully functional as they were in the good old days.

 

Speaking about website functionality, TGP would be a good term of comparison.
 

The only thing I can say is that without having any previous experience as a webmaster, about a year ago I was able to create a small site dedicated to the POD HD500/X, even if small (and currently with a daily average of only 70 unique visitors) it is pretty well equipped, you can easily embed audio or video clips in the posts, smileys are available for those who want to use them, patches download, and more.

 

However truth is I didn't spend 1 penny to make it and maintain it, just some of my free time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...