Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High gain tone creation

DoctorOnce

Hi there you beautiful people :)

I am the lucky and happy owner of an Helix Floor unit, and I'm trying to recreate the high gain rhythm sound heared in this video. I need some help to achieve this one, 'cause I don't really know where to start, amp aside (I'm obviously using the Revv Gen Red block for this one). I tried several things, with a Tube Screamer in the front, a Teemah! or even with a pre-eq to cut some low frequencies going into the amp but I can't get close to the tightness and punch I hear in the video.

So if you have any tips, any ideas (amp, IR, overdrive, pre-EQ, pre-compressor and whatnot), I'm open !

BTW, I'm using a 7 string with Fishman Fluence Modern Pickups in it, mainly active voicing.

Thanks o/

No video here, but I can tell you spending $9.95 on some Ownhammer V30 IR's (high gain) will take your Helix to the next level..More natural sounding feeling...I tend to use Badonk or Fire amps...Turning the Sag down to .5-2.0 works, as well as knocking the bass down to 2-4 (Everybody sounds different on the same amp)..I also think the answer will be in some type of compression, but I haven't had the need to go there (personally) yet....I see a lot of Youtubers using compression at the end of the signal chain to smooth and tighten as well...?

You dont even have to spend the money on ownhammer IRs, ill give them to you. PM me........but the thing is the cabinet tone hes getting is far more important than what amp hes using...digital - most amps sound alike, theyre just eq'd a bit differently and gain staged a bit differently from one another. Analogue - then yes id agree to start at the amp. In the digital realm id start by deciding with how he's getting his cab tone and you'll be %75 of the way home once you get that matched.

5 hours ago, willjrock said:

You dont even have to spend the money on ownhammer IRs, ill give them to you. PM me........

I'd be cautious about doing that, especially publicly. I've seen Ownhammer representatives on this forum. That would be a clear violation of their IP rights I expect, unless you have some relationship with Ownhammer that we don't know about that entitles you to do this legally.

6 hours ago, silverhead said:

I'd be cautious about doing that, especially publicly. I've seen Ownhammer representatives on this forum. That would be a clear violation of their IP rights I expect, unless you have some relationship with Ownhammer that we don't know about that entitles you to do this legally.

Nah just the free ones man. I even have their older freeware which are not often seen AFAIK.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:48 AM, steveb1019 said:

I also think the answer will be in some type of compression

Yup, I noticed that in the stock PV Panama preset, there's a compressor in front of the amp, and it does an amazing trick actually : it almost acts like an overdrive but without adding drive and fizziness ! And you're absolutely right about Ownhammer : I bought the FMAN V93 and it's a game changer really so thanks for that amazing suggestion :)

11 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

High-pass in the cab block ~110Hz, instead of a distortion boost try the parametric EQ in front with a low cut up around 200Hz then turn the level up so its boosting the front of the amp a little bit.

Ah yes pre-EQ ! I use that a lot thanks to Sonic Drive Studio, but I never considered turning up the level, I'm gonna try that :) High-passing the high block seems like a good idea as well, I kinda forgot we could do that since I use Native at home with NadIR to load the IRs ^^

• Like 1