Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp, powerbank and 5V to 9 V converter

Hhuent

I want to power my hx stomp with a new RAV 26800 powerbank (one USB out = Max 2.4 A) and a Birdcord 5 to 9V converter. The result is: It starts normal, then there starts a fast pulsating crackle and I also have a stuttering sound. Gets faster when more efx in the stomp are switched on. The powerbank delivers more than 1 A at 9 V,  the Birdcord converter cable delivers a max of 1.0 A. Should be enough for the Stomp that runs from my Cioks at 800 mA. But it does not work.

Is it the RAV powerbank or the converter cable  which is causing the problems? 

I’ve read about users who managed to run their Stomp from a powerbank. Anyone knows a solution?

I'd really like to find a rechargable 9V option too, im mostly interested in this as a curiosity than a true solution. I've had 'hit and miss' results with 9V+USB power, im no expert but I feel like the step-up converters are the issue. (Ive used an off-brand 5v-9v converter). Does Birdcord make a higher amperage cable (more like 1.5 or 2A)? I think the 9V1A output is at the bottom limit of the Stomp needs. IIRC, the HXS spikes at 1.2A at startup and then runs at 900mA, so a 9V2A output might provide solid continuous power. Again, just looking for solutions yourself.

That‘s the question: is it the powerbank (found a thread with someone who said , the RAV 26800 did not work) or the Converter? The Birdcord provides solid power up to 1 A. Not more, and they do not have a converter going beyond. There are other solutions on the market for that. Still I wonder if the fast charging feature of the powerbank creates this cycling crackle...

Anyone who knows a powerbank that actually worked with the hx stomp?

Simply. You need more. Amperage specifically. Many of the power bank brands have regulating circuitry to power down their power ports or auto sense the draw of the connected device. Many times I have found several of the power bank type models I have, to be far less than intelligently designed power source side electronics. Often they will prematurely shut down where a solid amperage output USB power brick will do the job no problem. 

3 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

Simply. You need more. Amperage specifically. Many of the power bank brands have regulating circuitry to power down their power ports or auto sense the draw of the connected device. Many times I have found several of the power bank type models I have, to be far less than intelligently designed power source side electronics. Often they will prematurely shut down where a solid amperage output USB power brick will do the job no problem. 

Thank you,

does it mean If I go with a converter with 2 A max. (Ionic audio or alike) may powerbank does not have to power down so much it’s 2.4 A output and might deliver a clean current? Or do I have to look for a „less intelligent“ powerbank? Problem is they all seem so intelligent now with ismart, Qualcom and what not...

Unfortunately, it may be a trial and error process to find a workable combination of voltage converter and rechargeable power bank. If the voltage converter is capable of providing higher amperage that would be what you would want to find. Also, as the current draw of the Stomp may vary depending on the DSP processing of the Signal Chain Block configuration selected, such a variable power draw of the HX Stomp may be misread by the power bank. I have not measured the HX Stomp's power draw. I do recollect reading that it draws more during startup and self diagnostics. My guess is that during quiescent use, the amperage draw is substantially less.

FWIW, I have a variety of USB devices which draw light power loads when being recharged. I have found that most of my power banks prematurely shut off the power charging of these devices, as there's little load on those light current draw devices. Whereas, when actually powering higher load devices those same power banks do fine. BTW, all the power banks I'm referring to are rechargeable lithium battery packs.

• Upvote 1