Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

quick harmony block help - Round & Round

themetallikid

So I have a one off show and i'm the only player....I'd like to add the harmony during the solo to Ratt's Round & Round, and I think its in B, but not sure what settings or scale to use.  I'm theory illiterate (mostly).   I get some harmony stuff, when jamming and stuff by myself, but when setting blocks and scales I get lost.  

Where should I place the block for best sounding, and what scale/key?   I thought from years ago the solo goes to B, but not sure...and I"m swamped with learning stuff....if not I'll just leave it out.

I haven't played this song in decades, so I don't exactly remember all the notes. :-)  But these settings appear to work if you are playing the lower harmony. 

Twin Harmony block after the amp and cab. 

Voice 1 Key: G#

Scale: Minor

Voice 1 Shift: +3rd

Voice 1 Level: Max

Mix: 40%-ish

Level: 0.0

Reduce Voice 2 Level to 0, seeing how this is only a two part harmony. 

yeah those were close to what I was trying.  I had the pitch block first (might have caused some of my issues)…..I'm in Eb, so I think the key then would be 'A' correct?  I was going +5th and I knew it didn't sound right, and Minor sounded right in my head...but given other things I had not correct, it'd make sense I couldn't make head or tails out of that setting at that point. 

I'll that that...thank you

If you're using the Twin Harmony and you're playing the song in key of Eb, then you set Eb in Voice 1 key.  You don't change the key for the harmony note.  The correct harmony note is determined by the shift (+3) which is the harmony on the 3rd above the tonic note in the Eb minor scale.

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

If you're using the Twin Harmony and you're playing the song in key of Eb, then you set Eb in Voice 1 key.  You don't change the key for the harmony note.  The correct harmony note is determined by the shift (+3) which is the harmony on the 3rd above the tonic note in the Eb minor scale.

That makes a lot more sense now.  The song is tuned a half step down. The solo switches to (what we see on the fretboard) the key of A minor, but really it's in they key of G# minor, which explains why G# minor works for the solo.  And the theory lines up because the rhythm chords are G# A# and F#, which are both in the key of G# minor and C# major.

Thanks for that clarification.