Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4CM with HX effects bypassing amp footswitch (darkglass VM500)

cavemanpaul

Hi, wondered if anyone had any suggestions. So I'm using the HX effects for bass into a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes 500 amp. The amp has an intelligent footswitch for going between clean, vintage microtubes circuit, B3K circuit, and mute (4 buttons). When trying to use an effects loop on the HX effects through the loop send/return on the amp, it is bypassing the footswitch somehow, so I can't change between the onboard distortions or mute the amp. This doesn't happen with 2 cable method (no loop) and didn't happen using individual effects in the loop... any ideas?

It sounds like you're trying to hook the VM500 up to the HX Effects via the 4CM but you don't have the connections correct. You wouldn't want to connect the two loops together. You'd want some of the HX's blocks before the VM500 and some in its loop. To do that, you'd make the follow connections (--> = a cable)

Guitar--> HX Effects Input

HX Effects FX Send --> VM500 input

VM500 FX Send --> HX Effects FX Return

HX Effects Output --> VM500 FX Return

Any effects you have before the FX Loop block in the HX Effects will be in front of the VM500. Any you have after the FX Loop block will be in the VM500's loop.

Hi Phil, thanks for replying. I'm not trying to control the on board distortion in the amp from the HX effects at all. It has it's own footswitch and footswitch in on the amp, which is where i'm trying to control it from. All effects on the HX are working fine, the effects loop works for the effects in the loop, but for some reason it stops the amp's own footswitch from being effective...

3 minutes ago, cavemanpaul said:

Hi Phil, thanks for replying. I'm not trying to control the on board distortion in the amp from the HX effects at all. It has it's own footswitch and footswitch in on the amp, which is where i'm trying to control it from. All effects on the HX are working fine, the effects loop works for the effects in the loop, but for some reason it stops the amp's own footswitch from being effective... 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm saying you're trying to control the on-board distortion from the HX Effects... I'm saying it sounds you have things hooked up incorrectly. Most likely you're bypassing the preamp on the VM500 which is why the channel selection isn't having any effect.

Hi Phil, apologies, misunderstood. Cable wise, going from instrument into input 1, send 1 to front of amp, amp fx send into HX return, HX output 1 into amp fx return.

RD2RK, thanks for reply. Yes, there is a loop block towards the end of the chain,  before the modulation i wanted in the loop.. 

signal.png