Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About connection of multi-effector/Amp

qwvb1111

Hello guys, I have bought an multi-effector and I am using Line 6 Spider Classic 15 combo amp.

The manual of this amp doesn't mention how to set all EQ or effects to 0, which makes it act as a speaker only, so the sound of the final output is not the same as the sound of using KEF headphone.

Is there any way to make all effects return to 0 so it can correctly output the sound of the multi-effector?

I may buy a monitor speaker of Yamaha if Spider Classic 15 cannot produce the original sound of the multi-effector...

Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

What you need it's some sort of FRFR speaker(s), studio monitors, etc. The Classic 15 is a modeler itself, and not intended to be used as a "clean slate" platform for other modeling devices.

thanks for answering. Which will you recommend to use? FRFR Speaker or monitor speaker?

I am planning to buy a Yamaha HR5 monitor speaker or maybe Headrush FRFR-112 Speaker. But I am new to this so I would like to know more about this

11 hours ago, qwvb1111 said:

thanks for answering. Which will you recommend to use? FRFR Speaker or monitor speaker?

I am planning to buy a Yamaha HR5 monitor speaker or maybe Headrush FRFR-112 Speaker. But I am new to this so I would like to know more about this

That really depends on what your use is for the Helix.  If it's predominantly studio work or just low volume in home practice, a pair of studio monitors would probably be the best choice.   If it includes live performance then a FRFR style powered speaker would be the best choice.

I'm assuming you mean the Yamaha HS5 studio monitor.  I've used Yamaha HS7 speakers in my studio and home work for probably 8 years and have been very happy, but you do need to be careful about placement of them relative to walls due to their rear facing bass reflex port as well as your position relative to the speakers to get the optimum separation and effect.  But that's the case with pretty much all studio monitors.

As far as live performance, there are quite a few folks that use and are happy with the Headrush speakers.  Depending on the situation I use mostly my Yamaha DXR12, but also can use my Electro Voice ZLX-12p or QSC CP8 depending on the situation and size of the room and PA situation I'm dealing with.  The Headrush is basically the lowest price option, but it has very limited speaker DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tuning options to optimize it for how it's being used and how it's being positioned compared to the higher priced powered speakers.  Warranty is another area to consider in these speakers since they'll get moved around a lot.  For example I just had a DXR12 that I've had for 4 1/2 years that needed to get the amp replaced.  That was done for free under warranty because Yamaha provides a six year warranty on those speakers.  But that' would be considered to be a premium price and quality speaker compared to many of the lower priced speakers in the market.  Basically, you get what you pay for.

22 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

That really depends on what your use is for the Helix.  If it's predominantly studio work or just low volume in home practice, a pair of studio monitors would probably be the best choice.   If it includes live performance then a FRFR style powered speaker would be the best choice.

I'm assuming you mean the Yamaha HS5 studio monitor.  I've used Yamaha HS7 speakers in my studio and home work for probably 8 years and have been very happy, but you do need to be careful about placement of them relative to walls due to their rear facing bass reflex port as well as your position relative to the speakers to get the optimum separation and effect.  But that's the case with pretty much all studio monitors.

As far as live performance, there are quite a few folks that use and are happy with the Headrush speakers.  Depending on the situation I use mostly my Yamaha DXR12, but also can use my Electro Voice ZLX-12p or QSC CP8 depending on the situation and size of the room and PA situation I'm dealing with.  The Headrush is basically the lowest price option, but it has very limited speaker DSP (Digital Signal Processing) tuning options to optimize it for how it's being used and how it's being positioned compared to the higher priced powered speakers.  Warranty is another area to consider in these speakers since they'll get moved around a lot.  For example I just had a DXR12 that I've had for 4 1/2 years that needed to get the amp replaced.  That was done for free under warranty because Yamaha provides a six year warranty on those speakers.  But that' would be considered to be a premium price and quality speaker compared to many of the lower priced speakers in the market.  Basically, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for answering. I think HS5 is the one for me. 

But is there really a big difference in sound between using HS5 and headphone? Maybe the KEF headphone is a cheap headphone and HS5 is an above-average monitor speaker for pros, but if the difference of the final output is only between wearing on head or not wearing on head, then I may not buy it...

I would like to try HS5 on local music shop but it is quite troublesome to bring all the gear to it...

59 minutes ago, qwvb1111 said:

Thanks for answering. I think HS5 is the one for me. 

But is there really a big difference in sound between using HS5 and headphone? Maybe the KEF headphone is a cheap headphone and HS5 is an above-average monitor speaker for pros, but if the difference of the final output is only between wearing on head or not wearing on head, then I may not buy it...

I would like to try HS5 on local music shop but it is quite troublesome to bring all the gear to it...

If it's purely for home use I'm not sure it matters that much as long as we're comparing apples to apples.  There are a ton of headphones on the market, most of which are oriented toward the consumer market as compared to the pro market.  The difference being that the consumer market tends to add a lot of coloration to the sound to give it more appeal to people that want a thumping bass and so forth.  A very popular headphone that I and many others use is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Studio 80 ohm version.  It compares very nicely to the Yamaha HS7 speakers I have.

The only thing that may factor into your decision is having some output system you could use if you wanted to jam with someone.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:02 PM, DunedinDragon said:

If it's purely for home use I'm not sure it matters that much as long as we're comparing apples to apples.  There are a ton of headphones on the market, most of which are oriented toward the consumer market as compared to the pro market.  The difference being that the consumer market tends to add a lot of coloration to the sound to give it more appeal to people that want a thumping bass and so forth.  A very popular headphone that I and many others use is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Studio 80 ohm version.  It compares very nicely to the Yamaha HS7 speakers I have.

The only thing that may factor into your decision is having some output system you could use if you wanted to jam with someone.

The sounnd of using present headphone + effector + present guitar is not satify ing, so if this is what I can get even if I buy a HS5, then I should buy a new guitar instead of the speaker, if you know what I mean...

From what you said then I think I should buy another guitar..?

5 hours ago, qwvb1111 said:

The sounnd of using present headphone + effector + present guitar is not satify ing, so if this is what I can get even if I buy a HS5, then I should buy a new guitar instead of the speaker, if you know what I mean...

From what you said then I think I should buy another guitar..?

I have no idea whether you should buy another guitar. Only you can decide that.  The only relevant point I've been trying to make is the Helix is only as good as the output device you're using with it whether that be headphones, studio monitors, or FRFR live speakers.