Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

LA Studio Comp LA-2A or LA-3A?

mark_gamache

I am not an expert on vintage compressors, but.... The LA-2A's Gain and Gain reduction are 0-100. The LA-3A measures gain and peak reduction using a 0-10 scale. Also the LA-3A does have emphasis control (it's on the back see this article and screen shot of HF Contour)

https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/49/la-3a-audio-leveler-reissue/

teletronix_la3a_carousel.jpg

Image result for la-2a

image.png

4 hours ago, mark_gamache said:

One more thing. Because of the faster attack times the LA-3A is preferred vs LA-2A for fast transient sources (Drums and Guitars) according to these links:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/universal-audio-la-2a-versus-la-3a/

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/la-2a-vs-la-3a-explained/

Don't get hung up on that... the LA2A is an amazing guitar compressor with a huge track record of it's own. 

LA2A, LA3A, 1176 Black, 1176 Blue..... Potato/Potahto, Tomato/Tomahto...  ALL GREAT COMPS! 

Above is your answer from a reputable source.. it is an LA2A model

Right, I see that @ADBrown is a Line6 employee and knows way more than I do of course. It feels like the LA Studio comp is faster than the LA-2A emulations that I've used (Waves + Black Rooster).  I like the LA Studio sound and use it in a final block to glue my sound together (ala Jason Sadites). But, I want to put the HX Stomp in the middle of my chain and use another pedal for compression (TC HyperGravity). Just wanted to dial in the HyperGravity to get close to the LA Studio Comp. 

Is there a good way to measure a compressor's effect (Like using Adobe Audition with generated wave forms)?

• 2 years later...
On 12/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, mark_gamache said:

Right, I see that @ADBrown is a Line6 employee and knows way more than I do of course. It feels like the LA Studio comp is faster than the LA-2A emulations that I've used (Waves + Black Rooster).  I like the LA Studio sound and use it in a final block to glue my sound together (ala Jason Sadites). But, I want to put the HX Stomp in the middle of my chain and use another pedal for compression (TC HyperGravity). Just wanted to dial in the HyperGravity to get close to the LA Studio Comp. 

Is there a good way to measure a compressor's effect (Like using Adobe Audition with generated wave forms)?

That is exactly what I want to do (Hypergravity in la2a simulation after stomp). Any progress with finding a good Hypergravity setting since this post that you might want to

share?

On 12/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, mark_gamache said:

I use the Oscilloscope plug-in in Studio One. For example, here's an image of the Ampeg Opto Comp's attack from my Helix book (version 1.1).

image.png.7261d949cae0e32828d8513c60789324.png

The attack on the left is with Compression set to 5.0 on a 100 Hz sine wave, while the one on the right uses a setting of 10.0. Note how the 10.0 setting clamps down faster on the attack, and reduces the sustain level. The relatively slow attack gives a “smooth” punch, and prevents any buzzing on low-frequency bass notes.

• Upvote 2