Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying To Run 2 Real Amps But Getting Loud Hiss

ftuller

I'm trying to use both 1/4 inch output jacks on the HD500 to run 2 real amps but am getting loud hiss from both amps. I'm using the same power outlet for everything. Also got hiss with the combination of 1 real amp and going directly into a sound system (tried both the 1/4 and xlr). Problem occurs in different locations and using different power outlets. I'm using studio/direct output and the full amp model of the Blackface deluxe but don't think that's the problem. An ebtech Hum X did not solve the problem. Any suggestions? Do I need an ABY box?

This is a pretty common problem when trying to connect two amps to a single pedal. You probably need to look into something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLeSybKXpbcCFfFDMgodw1sAfw or this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HD400-2-Channel-Hum-Destroyer/dp/B000KUD2G4

An ABY box may help, too. It depends on whether or not you want the switching capability.

This is a pretty common problem when trying to connect two amps to a single pedal. You probably need to look into something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLeSybKXpbcCFfFDMgodw1sAfw or this: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-HD400-2-Channel-Hum-Destroyer/dp/B000KUD2G4

An ABY box may help, too. It depends on whether or not you want the switching capability.

sorry, I disagree, because hiss is not hum!

ftuller should check if output of the hd is too hi switch from line to amp on the front switches (sorry, mayby they are labeled different, just a brain dump)

Even check if the noise comes from the input. Try to place a gate on the start of your effect path.

But if you meant hum instead of hiss, try the ground lift

sorry, I disagree, because hiss is not hum!

Well, technically, this is true. It seems though this poster is probably talking about hum from a ground loop simply because the noise only appears when two amps are connected. It doesn't seem like he's talking about hiss that happens when the noise floor is too high.

Guys, to clarify I have 1/4 Out on the POD set to Amp and Guitar In set to Pad. All of my patches start with a noise gate. I don't have any noise issues running one real amp. When I connect two real amps I get a loud hiss (or hum) from both amps. I've ordered the Hum Eliminator and hopefully that will solve the problem. A buddy said I should get an isolation transformer and I believe the Hum Eliminator does this. Thanks guys.

I had a similar but not as severe problem when connecting to amps.  I use the 1/4 outputs to 2 amps using Studio Direct mode into the effect returns.  At home the left amp would hum and the right amp would be fine.  There were on differant power circuits.  When I played out it was fine.  Now that I've moved into a new home both amps work great.  Atleast in my case it was just bad grounding in the electrical outlets.

My suggestion would be to try them all on the same circuit or maybe switch to a differant circuit and see if it's an electrical issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: the issue is my fender blues jr 15w tube amp, which is only 1 year old and works fine otherwise. Without the blues jr, both output jacks work fine. The only set up that works is putting a Hum Eliminator in between the blues jr and the pod and then running the other amp straight into the pod. Any thoughts on why the blues jr is doing this and how to fix it?

Does the Blues Jr hum or exhibit any signs of weirdness without the POD connected? If not, I'd say it's probably not the tubes. It sounds as if you have some sort of ground loop occurring if you're able to get the hum to go away with the hum eliminator. And if it works, I'd say go with it. Ground loops can happen even if you have everything hooked up correctly. If you plug everything into the same power strip, that's one way to help minimize the risk, but it doesn't completely eliminate it.

phil_m - the blues jr sounds fine stand alone and when it's the only thing hooked up to the pod so maybe it's not the tubes. What still bothers me is that when both amps were plugged into the hum eliminator I still got the hum problem. It was only when I ran just the blues jr through the hum eliminator that the problem went away. My concern is that if I want to run 2 blues jrs that I'll have to buy a 2nd hum eliminator. Ideally 1 would have solved the problem. Thanks for the input.

Is the pod connected to anything else other than the two amps? By that I mean a computer . I had a similar problem when I had the pod connected to two amps and also connected to the computer for editing at the same time. The solution in my case was one of the usb devices (ethernet card) was causing the hum so as soon as I unplugged it there was no hum. Connected to one amp, I got no hum. If the usb cable is plugged in the pod try removing that.

• Upvote 1

I just successfully ran 2 blues jrs at the same time. The pod wasn't the problem, it was a ground loop in my blues jr. Running 1 through a hum eliminator and the other straight into the pod is completely hum/hiss-free. 2 blues jrs at the same time sounds great - very full and lively. Thanks for everyone's input.