Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About The Need Of Having An Iphone/tablet

EagleWildFire

Hi,

I loved the idea of the amplifi but I see a major problem that IMHO will decrease the sales of what could have been a best-seller:

You need an Iphone/tablet to use this amp! Maybe in America everybody has an apple product, but here in Europe most of us have an Android phone/tablet, maybe about 5% has an Iphone.
So I'd buy this amp because it is what I was searching for, but, I have to buy an Iphone to be able to use it? Why can't you make an app for Android? Is it cooler if it only works with Apple?
Line 6 has disapointed me greatly, I'm not gonna buy this amp just because I can't spend 500€ more in a phone/tablet to be able to use it.

• Upvote 1

Of course, even that wouldn't help those of us with Windows Phones/Win8 tablets... and most recent desktops and laptops have bluetooth radios as well. So there are plenty of devices that already exist that are being left out, and "there will be an Android app soon" is little consolation.

I wouldn't especially hold my breath for the Android or Windows apps, if I were you. You'll notice that a few years out on the StageSource stuff, and still the only devices mentioned there are Apple iPads or iPhones. Where are the Android or Win Apps for those? Why should we expect it to be any different with this AMPLIFi? The only mention I've seen was in the Anderton's video, and they aren't exactly "official" spokesmen for Line 6... Might just be wishful thinking.

Just a thought.

Dave

I wouldn't especially hold my breath for the Android or Windows apps, if I were you. You'll notice that a few years out on the StageSource stuff, and still the only devices mentioned there are Apple iPads or iPhones. Where are the Android or Win Apps for those? Why should we expect it to be any different with this AMPLIFi? The only mention I've seen was in the Anderton's video, and they aren't exactly "official" spokesmen for Line 6... Might just be wishful thinking.

Just a thought.

Dave

I don't think L6 ever said they would make an Android app for the Stagesource gear as far as I heard.  Paul H in the Andertons video is the official L6 demonstrator, and as a L6 employee I don't think he would have said an Android app was due later this year in such a video if he didn't know it were true and planned.  I could be wrong, but I'm inclined to believe what he said.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out though - can't guarantee I'll be able to find out more though, but I'm willing to try.

Cheers

Andy

All I've been able to find out is there's no confirmed plans for an Android app yet. 

I'll keep digging, but for now, my advice would be if you want an AMPLIFi and you intend to use it with an Android app - I'd wait until it's actually confirmed officially by Line 6.

Worldwide smartphone sales to end users by operating system in 2013          

Android

â€‰

79.0%

iOS

â€‰

14.2%

Windows Phone

â€‰

3.3%

BlackBerry

â€‰

2.7%

Other

â€‰

0.9%  

Mobile OS Market Share as of 2nd quarter 2013 Gartner[15]

Thank you for your answers Rowbi.

I just read this on wikipedia. Well, Line 6, have fun with your 14,2%.

Cheers

I just read this on wikipedia. Well, Line 6, have fun with your 14,2%.

Well, Line 6 isn't marketing it to everyone who owns a phone... They're marketing to a small subset of the population - guitarists who also are technically savvy enough to want to use their device with an amp.

It would be nice to have an Android app, and I hope they do. I think, though, that in the audio world, iOS is still seen as what the industry wants.

I think it might be a matter of Line 6 not being familiar with Android development. They already have iOS apps for a while not but currently no Android apps that I'm aware of. This is because Apple has much better audio latency for things like guitar amp / effects on iOS devices, which has been the Line 6 app focus to date. Audio latency has nothing to do with the Amplifi app, but Line 6 may now have to get experience in programming for Android, which is a whole different language (Java vs objective c) and development environment.

Although the stats are actually very interesting, they only mention smartphone sales in 2013. It doesn't take into account past smartphone sales from 2011-2012 where I think apple would have a larger share and should still be able to run iOS 7.

Also iPod touch devices as well as iPads should be taken into account as well as the real numbers of units sold rather than the percentage. I believe that an android app is a must have these days, but without it there are still enough iOS users to buy a hell if a lot of amplifi's

Idea scale is just what these things are for - so people can request new products/features. Let's get that android app made because there's obviously a need for it.

Andy

Idea scale is just what these things are for - so people can request new products/features. Let's get that android app made because there's obviously a need for it.

Andy

Great, how much will Line 6 pay me to use ideascale to solve their R&D and marketing problems for them while giving more personal info to a 3rd party (Ideascale themselves) of dubious provenance?

I don't create new user accounts on dodgy websites just because a vendor wants me to. Keep your support in-house Line 6!

Try making an appearance on your own support forums for example!

Most customers will never use the service and frankly none has seen any tangible benefit in doing so except L6 and Ideascale.

How is it meant to help again?

• Downvote 1

It's a site to used to collate end user requests for new products or updates.  It's specifically there to ensure you as a consumer, can tell L6 what it is you want without those requests being clouded by technical support and discussions.  After all this is a community support forum, and the customer support reps at L6 aren't in their R&D dept.  it's a bit like an election, you have to put forward your vote to be counted. 

have a read at this article written by the chap in charge of support at L6: http://line6.com/support/forum-47/announcement-7-post-your-product-and-video-tutorial-ideas-at-line6ideascalecom/

I only wanted to help everyone's voice be heard so that there's a better chance of the android app happening.  if you want the app, what's the issue?

Andy

It's a site to used to collate end user requests for new products or updates.  It's specifically there to ensure you as a consumer, can tell L6 what it is you want without those requests being clouded by technical support and discussions.  After all this is a community support forum, and the customer support reps at L6 aren't in their R&D dept.  it's a bit like an election, you have to put forward your vote to be counted. 

have a read at this article written by the chap in charge of support at L6: http://line6.com/support/forum-47/announcement-7-post-your-product-and-video-tutorial-ideas-at-line6ideascalecom/

I only wanted to help everyone's voice be heard so that there's a better chance of the android app happening.  if you want the app, what's the issue?

Andy

Surely everything you described can be done here - without sharing our information and marketing data with a 3rd party.

It's duplicitous to pretend this for our benefit, it's purely for Line 6s.

• Downvote 2

Does anyone know if you have to have access to the internert in order to call up your own saved patches at a gig? I have an old iPhone but it does not have a sim card, so if the venue I'm playing has no WIFI (or even if I had a sim card, I may not be able to get a signal), am I out of luck?

Thanks. But just to be clear - Did you get completely out of the Amplfi app (meaning unload it from running even in the background), THEN turn your phone on airplane mode, and then call up the app to see if you can get at your presets? If not, it could be that the presets were already temporarily download and in memory when you turned out airplane mode. It's an important disctinction.

Good point.

Just tried it your way and it worked the same.

When you edit a tone you can either publish it to custom tone or save it locally to 'my tones' which I'm confident us stored within the app on your iOS device as if you check the data stored by the amplifi app then check it again after storing 10 new tones it increases.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I LOVE The Idea of this amp,BUT,DO I NEED a "SMART PHONE" to USE IT?  I'm a 53 year old Disabled Veteran,And I DON'T Even have a NEED for a CELL PHONE at ALL ! It would seem that I could do the same thing with a Personal computer,..I DON'T GIG,Basically just play in my "Guitar Room,Record and Write,Play for my own (And my CATS,LOL) Enjoyment. I GUESS IF I need to run out and set up a Smartphone account just to use the Amplifi,As COOL as I Think it is,I Supposse I can Live WITHOUT The Amplifi As much as it SUCKS you HAVE to Have a Smart Phone to utilize the Amp.

PLEASE let Me Know IF I can USE the Amplifi System just Using my PC with a Windows 7 Software Program,and I'll be CERTAIN to Purchase an Amplifi IF I DON'T Need an IPHONE. I've enjoyed Using Line 6 products since my First POD,and The AMPLIFI Sounds like a KILLER AMPLIFIER,Thanks For your Help!

Bob Malin

it doesn't have to be a phone...

you can use an ipad, or even ipod touch... (as long as it can use iOS 7)

but yes... that's the nature of the amp... sorry.

I LOVE The Idea of this amp,BUT,DO I NEED a "SMART PHONE" to USE IT?  I'm a 53 year old Disabled Veteran,And I DON'T Even have a NEED for a CELL PHONE at ALL ! It would seem that I could do the same thing with a Personal computer,..I DON'T GIG,Basically just play in my "Guitar Room,Record and Write,Play for my own (And my CATS,LOL) Enjoyment. I GUESS IF I need to run out and set up a Smartphone account just to use the Amplifi,As COOL as I Think it is,I Supposse I can Live WITHOUT The Amplifi As much as it SUCKS you HAVE to Have a Smart Phone to utilize the Amp.

PLEASE let Me Know IF I can USE the Amplifi System just Using my PC with a Windows 7 Software Program,and I'll be CERTAIN to Purchase an Amplifi IF I DON'T Need an IPHONE. I've enjoyed Using Line 6 products since my First POD,and The AMPLIFI Sounds like a KILLER AMPLIFIER,Thanks For your Help!

Bob Malin