Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should i get the line6 hx stomp

larsalo

I am a beginner/intermediate guitar player who wants to start exploring guitar effects and amp modelling. Would you advice me to get the hx stomp or something else.

I am 14 and I don't have any experience with modelling or any effects. When I i try to read about the stomp I run to a lot of terms that I don't understand and complicated English (I'm not a native speaker) I don't have any other pedals and I'm not thinking of getting any atleast for a while. I have a few questions.

Can you just plug your guitar into the stomp and plug your headphones to it or do you need to plug the stomp to an amp or a PA system.

Should i get an better amp? I have a cheap 50 dollar amp but does its quality matter if im using amp modelling? Or should I try out the different amp models and buy an amp I like.

Do I need to buy anything with the stomp like extra cables or footswitches to use it?

If you think i should buy something else than the stomp my budget is around 550€

But yeah the main question is would the stomp be good for an inexperienced teenager who just wants effects and amp modelling and recording on a budget.

Quite frankly I'm not sure you're ready for a Helix quite yet.  Since you're just starting out you might be a whole lot better off with a modeling amp to help you get used to the idea of how to build signal chains with different amps and effects.  Something like the Line 6  Spider V 120 would be a very good starter amp with a lot of the same things as a Helix, but less complicated to set up and use.  But a lot of what you would use and learn on a Spider V would translate directly to something more sophisticated like a Helix eventually as your guitar and technical skills grow. It's also quite sufficient if you would want to start playing in a band or jamming with other people.

It's kind of the same reasoning that would say that someone just getting started driving probably shouldn't dive into a Lamborghini...something smaller and simpler would be best until you've driven for a while.

I agree with @DunedinDragon....

Since you are also asking about upgrading your amp,,, grab a Spider V and get used to how it all works. 

• The money should be less than a stomp
  • It will provide you with a good enough amp to solve those issues
  • It will introduce you to modeling so you can start to get a feel for that. 

IIRC..... The Spider works well with headphones... so if silent practice is important, it should be able to accommodate that (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

The spider will not have all the bells/whistles that an HX product will (stomp, effects, helix, etc...) but it is more than enough to get you going. 

FWIW: At this time I go direct to PA/Monitors with a Helix most of the time, but having a good amp is very important. I have those as well for when I need them. 

1 hour ago, larsalo said:

complicated English (I'm not a native speaker)

FYI: Your English is very good! Your questions were very clear and easy to understand :) 

I agree with the above. You mention recording and the Spider V amps come with the Cubase LE recording program so that's an advantage too. But mostly it's just a much simpler all-in-one intro to amp/FX modelling. You can always step up to Helix later if you want but with Helix you will also need other equipment and it's hard to decide what other stuff is best until you've gained some experience. These Spider amps will hold good resale value.

Compare the specs of the various models to choose what's best for you. Personally I think the V60 is a great mid-range featur-rich product if your budget allows. It has a 10-inch speaker with plenty of power if you ever want to join a band, a built-in looper that will give you hours of fun and practice, and built-in wireless receiver if you ever want to go cord-free.

While I totally agree with everyone above that a Helix anything is not for your stage of playing, I think that the next question is - where are you likely to play?

If it will only be at home, you need to look at the best practice amps.  If there is some chance you might play with a drummer or a small group of friends somewhere where you can make a bit more noise, you choices will be a little different.

The Yamaha THR series are a very good solution for home playing and the new THR30 would even do for small group practice (not a gig!) - THR10 would be more than enough if you won't be playing with anyone.  These have lots of advantages like being able to be a great general music player and a play along system.  Portable - sound great not too many options but more to explore with a computer connected when you want to start to explore the brainspace that modellers like the Helix represent.

Also in the same territory is the Boss Katana - the range covers smaller versions that compete with the THRs all the way to real gigging amps all built on the same basic concept.  The beauty of all these is they are designed for someone like you with great sounds at the push of a button and at the same time don't act as a dead end, but let you dive deeper as you learn.

Check some YouTube videos on best practice amps and the amps I mention.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to you all. 

I have some additional info but probably doesn't matter. 

I mostly play metal and play really quiet or trough headphones. I would be willing to spend spend more than the 500 if I would buy both the amp and something separate because I just want something I can use for a long time without having to upgrade because I want to start saving for a guitar.

If you do buy the HX Stomp I would not buy a regular guitar amp to go with it. I would buy a good FRFR speaker (PA speaker or studio monitors depending on whether or not you plan to play outside your recording studio). There's lots of info about this on various threads in this forum but the bottom line is: a regular guitar amp and an amp modeller have to fight with each other in terms of who's in charge of the preamp and cab sounds. Duplicating the model with the physical rarely sounds good. It's more complicated to get good sounds with that setup. Not recommended for a modeling beginner. 

7 hours ago, larsalo said:

Oh an the stomp is 150€ on sale now so I would have the money to buy some ok amp plus the stomp but yeah ill look into the modeling amps.

If you can get a NEW Line6 Helix Stomp for 150 Euros, JUMP ON IT!

You can buy a NICE guitar for the difference between that and what we pay for them here in the U.S.!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rd2rk said:

You can buy a NICE guitar for the difference between that and what we pay for them here in the U.S.!

Something doesn't seem quite right about that price... at the current exchange rate, that's ~$166, a few bucks less than what the Helix backpack currently sells for, lol. Can't be right... at almost 75% off, it's gotta be used, or a banged up demo unit or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Something doesn't seem quite right about that price... at the current exchange rate, that's ~$166, a few bucks less than what the Helix backpack currently sells for, lol. Can't be right... at almost 75% off, it's gotta be used, or a banged up demo unit or something.

Just done a quick trawl through the HX Stomp prices in the current U.K. market and I would put the average price in the region of $500, approx 450 Euros or £380. I can’t find anywhere listing a price anything even near to the 150€ “larsalo” has mentioned. Surely, some mistake - if not - buy one for me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

You can buy a NICE guitar for the difference between that and what we pay for them here in the U.S.

Oops I meant its 150 off the normal price. This is what I meant when I said I'm not a native english speaker.

I could get it d

For 500 when its normally atleast 600 or I would have to play like 100€+ for the postal costs.

• Like 1

The suggestions for a modeling amp are good, but you couldn’t go wrong with the helix considering the helix will always be relevant even if someday Down the road you find yourself playing a high end tube amp or a full sized helix or Kemper, the hx stomp will still be a highly useful tool. The little modeling amp however will likely get sold for a fraction of what you paid for it. I currently have the helix lt and am looking to also get an hx stomp for my church bass gig were I dont need the extra features and need a smaller object. The helix can do anything and have a use in any setup. so do yourself a favor and buy something that will be a tool That you likely won’t ever outgrow. If you need a speaker for it, buy a pa speaker and in the future you’ll have a stage monitor as well. If I could go back in time and spend my money wiser I would.