Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

While I waited for the release of 2.80 I was hoping there would be something good I could use in the release.  However,  I did update to 2.80 and discovered the drag and drop in HX Edit no longer worked the way 2.71 did.  I was not able to drag and drop or move positions of effects.  I put in a ticket to Tech Support and was told that if I didn't like it I could return to 2.71.   I did return to 2.71 and waited till recently to try 2.82 only to discover that the HXEdit 2.82 and the Helix 2.82 Firmware still did not fix the drag and drop issue I have.   Not only did the Drag and Drop issue not get resolved, the Helix Quit responding to SysEx Progam Change MIDI commands.   I would put in another ticked but it appears to me that Tech Support is more interested in closing tickets than resolving problems or reporting them to Engineering. 

I thought I'd post here to possibly shame Tech Support and Engineering in to taking this seriously!   I have two different machines that Run Win 10, an Hp Spectre and a MS Surface Pro.  Both have the same issue.   I don't see any other complaints about this problem listed by other users so Really it's an isolated problem?   I returned to 2.71 again and it works perfectly.

I can't see how no-one else has this problem.  Am I the only one using it this way?   Naw!

So here's a recap;

Issue # 1 Can't drag/move effects and  HX Edit 2.8x using mouse (Click/Hold/Drag) to move Effects positions.    Now it seems the new version just allows Copy and Paste to to the same thing.   I can move positions using the Helix display with no problem

Issue #2  Can't Move or Copy and Paste Splits using HX Edit.  Now it seem we have to  delete the split and create a new one in a different position to accomplish this.  I can move splits using the Helix display just fine.

Issue #3  2.82 Helix Firmware quit responding to Program Change commands on ANY channel.   I could see they were being sent thru a MIDI debugger.

I reverted back to 2.71 and everything works fine.   EXCEPT,  I don't have the opportunity to use new features (Amps/Effects) in 2.82.   I'm not happy that I am stuck with 2.71!  Please work on resolving these issues for me!

Like I said the last time I put in a ticket for this issue the Tech Closed the Ticket after sending me back to 2.71.

If there's anyone else having this issue please chime in!

Thanks!

I sympathize with your plight, but if you think you're going to "shame" tech support into doing anything by posting in a user forum, you're barking up the wrong tree. "Official" folks rarely show up here, and it's extraordinarily unlikely that the guy(s) you're pi$$ed at will ever see this.

It's really hard to troubleshoot something when there's only one report of the problem.

You might want to check that Win10 and all your system drivers are up to date. The drag'n'drop problem could be video drivers. Windows Updates have a nasty habit of replacing certain oem drivers with Microsoft drivers that don't always work right.

I know, two different machines, but it's still more likely than being located on a convergence of ley lines or bad feng shui. :-)

The MIDI problem is very strange. When you updated to 2.82, did you check the "MIDI PC RECEIVE" parameter in  GLOBAL SETTINGS>MIDI/Tempo to see if it was set to the HW you're using (USB and/or MIDI)? Are CCs also not working?

I use Windows 10, and nothing regarding the drag and drop functionality has changed for me with 2.82. I literally use those functions all the time. I suspect that there is something else going on aside from the update.

I reset the Helix twice then tried various configurations of USB and MIDI send/rec.    CC's were also not working.    I use USB to send PC and CC via laptop software.  I found it strange that the HX Edit Software 2.82 had no problem changing Set Lists or Patches..    It's very strange that 2.71 works perfectly.      So, if 2.71 works, seems like 2.8x should work just as well.  something is definitely screwed.   I think it's me.

I think what I'll try after the new year is to isolate the problem either with the Computer or the Helix.   If I can locate another Helix with 2.82 Firmware on it I can use my laptop to test.  If I have the same issue then I need to try a third Laptop?    Any other ideas?

I have Windows 10 on two laptops, one I use with an HX Floor, the other with HX Stomp. and I support other people's (friends) computers, used mostly for gaming or business.

On one of my laptops, the ethernet (hard wire) chip works perfectly with Win7, constantly drops connection on Win8-10. Driver problem. Neither MS nor the OEM is inclined to deal with it.

On one of my friends' laptops, EVERY TIME there's a Windows Update it changes the OEM wireless driver to the Microsoft driver and the wireless fails. I've had to teach her how to go into Device Manager and change it back. MS Support has no clue.

Someone else (forget if it was here or TGP) had a high end latest greatest game machine that he couldn't get to work with whatever it was until he managed to find just the right version of chipset driver.

Point I'm trying to make is that many thousands (millions?) of musicians use Windows 10. A small percentage have seemingly random problems. It's usually drivers, and sometimes VERY hard to track down. Very few people (IME), when troubleshooting, think of the MB and Video drivers. SOMETIMES that's where the problem lies. Sometimes it's MS Update. 

While it's not impossible that there's a problem with YOUR Helix and v2.82, it's not likely. But you're right to keep an open mind, since the problem is occurring on two very different computers.

If you're near Denver, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you.

If not, be sure to keep us updated. Maybe with the New Year a new alignment of stars will magically cure the problem. Hey, doesn't hurt to hope..... :-)

On 12/23/2019 at 2:13 PM, FrankieLee said:

Something is going on, However,  it seems Line 6 is not too interested in helping to resolve the problem.

Did you contact them through the proper support channels?... as said earlier, these are USER forums, not official support. 

Also - keep in mind it is the Christmas season and L6 is a small company. Support could be a little slow until the new year. 

Hi!

I have also a serious problem with my Helix Floor and Helix Native. First I found the bug in Helix Floor. I also had a REALLY bad time with tech support. Actually I tink they were just talking nonsense (for months) just to stall the case. But at first they confirmed my findings, but in the end they told me to send my Helix Floor unit for repair. Then I did some more research and found the bug in Helix Native as well. I'm quite convinced they know themselves that this is a bug, and a quite nasty one (gradual volume loss when a patch is tweaked in a certain way).

By the way, I also wrote about my findings (and my experience with tech support) in this forum. And just for the fun of it, I did a syntax search (a chunk) of my text on Google. It did not appear in the search. Then I tried to do the same thing with your post. It did not appear either. But several other posts in this forum came up as the nr. 1 search. Filtering? :-) I don't know, but I will also check this next time I see a serious bug repport in this forum.

4 minutes ago, havkayak said:

And just for the fun of it, I did a syntax search (a chunk) of my text on Google. It did not appear in the search. Then I tried to do the same thing with your post. It did not appear either. But several other posts in this forum came up as the nr. 1 search. Filtering? :-) I don't know, but I will also check this next time I see a serious bug repport in this forum.

You have stumbled on the conspiracy.

Line 6 pays Google and Microsoft (bing) millions of dollars every year to make sure nothing "bad" ever shows up in search results virtually guarantying they can see 1000 more units with the same flaw they know about but refuse to fix. 

2 hours ago, havkayak said:

And just for the fun of it, I did a syntax search (a chunk) of my text on Google. It did not appear in the search. Then I tried to do the same thing with your post. It did not appear either. But several other posts in this forum came up as the nr. 1 search. Filtering? :-) I don't know, but I will also check this next time I see a serious bug repport in this forum.

I agree..total conspiracy!

image.thumb.png.d6b85977ca8f401592965607f42098cc.png 

Sorry, I wasn't reading to carefully at first. I found myself next to governmental science pages... :-) Yes, it might be a coincidence. But try to search for this post, and my latest post. Both posts are critical about the support, and they point at a problem that is hard to dismiss (if one try it out). But by all means, I just mention it.

So,  Boys and Girls,  Line 6 apparently has hacked the HX Edit software.  The problem with not being able to drag and drop is still a problem but can be resolved.   As I said previously 2.71 worked flawlessly and the problem for me didn't show up until 2.80 was released.   Today, I drove to Guitar Center in Tempe, Az.  Ben said he had a Helix with 2.81 firmware and that I could use it to test if my issue was the HELIX or Laptop.   I tested 2.81 using both my laptops and had the same result, "Can't Drag and Drop".   Ben took control and was also confused about why this wasn't working.   I told him I had the mouse set up as a left handed mouse.  While he was adjusting to the LH mouse the inadvertently selected both LEFT and RIGHT Mouse buttons at the same time and was able to Drag and Drop.    Problem Solved?  Not Really!   Work Around?  OKAY!.   I don't know if this has anything to do with Win 10 LH Mouse Settings but 2.71 did not require Click and Hold ( Left and Right ) Mouse buttons to Drag and Drop did it?     Am I the only Left Handed HX Edit user?   Ha.      Thanks to Ben at Guitar Center Tempe for helping figure out the issue.   Okay Line 6 can you correct this so it works for Lefties too?   All you need to do is make it work correctly when Right Mouse Click is set to PRIMARY.  NOT JUST LEFT PRIMARY..

Check it out!