Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lots Of Niggles crept in since 2.8 Helix Floor

andantemusic

I am running 2.82 but I am starting to have concerns with the reliability.

I have 4 snapshot 4 stomp setup

At present 2 main things happens most gigs.

1. I have a Momentary switch setup to turn `Deranged Master` on and off for quick volume and thickness boost. Switch engaged turns pedal on. 3 things happen.

a) Sometimes, maybe once or twice a gig the scribble strip inverts to fully white after I release the switch.

b) Again a few times a night the momentary switch function inverts, the scribble strip is normal and the switch ring light turns on. (switch engaged changes to off, Switch up is on). I think this was a reported bug that had been sorted in 2.82. Pressing the Snapshot button resets it to normal function.

c) Sometimes the volume increase does not return to normal after I have used the momentary switch, meaning the volume stays louder than it was even though the Deranged Master is off. This again is reset by pressing snapshot button.

These seem minor niggles but cause me no end of grief as I cannot rely on the sound changes I have created during a gig.

2. Sometimes the preset names end up where the stomp box names are (Bottom Row) and the top row (normally snapshots) disappears and goes black. This is a nightmare during a song a not only do I loose snapshot control but also stomp box control. At present the only way (in panic during song break) to rectify this problom is to stop the set until I turn the unit off and back on. The patch loads correctly and the snapshot - Stomp setup returns.

I am beginning to loose faith. I was an early adopter, I also use Firehawk 1500 as monitor amp and Variax. I am completely invested in Line 6 but now worry every gig.

Any one have similar problems

Cheers

Paul

I was an early adopter as well and I can't say I've encountered any of the problems you're talking about on 2.82.  Some of them I could write off as being situations in which you may have hit two buttons at the same time and thrown the Helix into a different mode such as with your preset names listed across your stomp buttons (in which case it can be solved easily by hitting your mode button to restore it.   I'm not convinced your anomoles are related to 2.82 though.  I use momentary switches all the time when I'm doing dual harmony leads and I've never experienced any problems at all.  But you may be experiencing odd behaviors from just normal use such as having dirty contacts on some stomp buttons (which you can clean by holding the button down and turning it back and forth).  If it were me I might try moving it to another stomp button and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers for your comment DunedinDragon.

I am aware that if I have a momentary switch pressed as I change snapshots it reverses the momentary switch state until I press the snapshot again to correct it. I can live with this bug because I know what causes it.

I am therefore very particular on being accurate with foot presses as I am quite static while playing.

Changing modes does not rectify the patches along the bottom scribble strip. The only remedy is restart.

I will however try changing the button to see if some problems are alleviated.

Cheers again

12 hours ago, andantemusic said:

At present 2 main things happens most gigs.

If the problem is relatively easy to repeat on your rig.... submit a ticket to Line 6 along with a "preset in question". In your ticket provide the step by step instructions on how to induce the problem. IME: If they can reproduce the problem... they will fix the problem.

If the problem is just random... I agree with @DunedinDragon ... it is likely the side effect of a machine that needs some maintenance (cleaning) and the 2.8 update was purely coincidence. 

I've had some issues with the momentary stomp switch as well for a song or two that I use.  

Slither...I have snapshot set for the rhythm tone, the solo is all wah, so I have my regular lead boosts trigged by the expression pedal travel at 97%. wah on....lead effects on too.  Works great.  But there is an adlib solo piece at the end of the main riff each time it runs before the verse, in the intro, outro etc....so I duplicate my lead sound blocks, and attach those to a stomp switch to be momentary.  The whole lead phrase takes about 1.5 seconds to play, but I like it to stand out. so stepping on, and then off is a PITA.  So momentary is a great option....however when I do this, if I try to use it over a whole song, some of the blocks will reverse themselves or not turn off....is this the same issue you have?

Crazy Train....basically same scenario, I have Rhythm/Lead snapshots, and then for the solo runs during the chorus I like to punch it on/off with a simple push/release rather than 2 stomps.  But I get the same issue.  over the course of the song it will cause some blocks ot be in opposite bypass state.  making it not useable in that fashion.  

For the Crazy train preset I have not tried attaching those effects to the Expression pedal for triggering to see if that fixes it.  Easy fix for Crazy Train, doesn't solve Slither though