Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I know there are a million questions about routing..

gtarmn

.....but, I can't find this particular one. 

My current routing;

PC--->Helix via USB

Helix----> Studio monitors via 1/4 outs

Helix-----RC300 looper via 1 and 2 FX loops

Everything works well, and sounds clean and I have no issues recording in my DAW (Sonar), or jamming with backing tracks from the PC........

What I would like to do is reintroduce the output from my Helix (including said backing tracks) into the PC (using Win 10 sound controls) to facilitate live broadcasting over the internet. Kinda the same thing as the old "what you hear" setting on a PC soundcard.

I can reroute my Helix 1/4 outs to the RC300, and let it feed the monitors. This gives me another USB connection (from the RC300) to use as an input into the PC. Unfortunately, it also introduces a whine/hum with my monitors that is intolerable.

I have a feeling I might have to get a mixer to make this work (any suggestions on a good/inexpensive one?), but if anyone can come up with a routing option I haven't tried, I'll offer my first-born son. 

Warning......he's 29 and still lives with his dad.

Thanks, Folks.

2 hours ago, gtarmn said:

What I would like to do is reintroduce the output from my Helix (including said backing tracks) into the PC (using Win 10 sound controls) to facilitate live broadcasting over the internet. Kinda the same thing as the old "what you hear" setting on a PC soundcard. 

Thanks, Folks.

Couldn't you just import the backing tracks (stereo mix) to two tracks in Sonar, then record your guitar bits on another track and bounce all to two?

1 hour ago, guitarboy_02451 said:

Couldn't you just import the backing tracks (stereo mix) to two tracks in Sonar, then record your guitar bits on another track and bounce all to two?

Yes, I can record no problem, and I could certainly add any backing I wanted. I'm trying to figure out the best way to broadcast/play live to the internet. Maybe I'm missing your point, are you suggesting that I play thru my DAW into whichever broadcasting program I'm using? The internet programs I'm using don't use ASIO drivers, but use Windows sound settings. Helix uses USB1/2 to receive the backing audio and Windows doesn't seem to recognize 5/6, or 7/8 as an input to return it. The hope is, that I'm missing a simple setting? 

Sorry, I misunderstood. You probably couldn't use your DAW, as the playback engine is already set to Helix for your USB recording.

I have a Stomp and included the USB routing as it's laid out, but what you're trying to do is beyond my ability to help. I would think that you need some kind of mixer that the Windows Sound Card and Software recognizes.

I know there are a lot of folks that live-stream or create YouTube videos, Jason Sadities is one such person who has his camera audio for his voice/video, and direct audio for his Helix (so no room mic noises are mixed in). He did do one video going over all his gear and studio. May be worth checking out.

I only record to ProTools, and even at that I do not use USB audio, just regular 1/4 into my pre's...  I hope either you figure it out or someone else here can help.

usb.tiff

In my way of thinking, since you're trying to go live on YouTube you need a live setup.  The obvious answer to me is to simply incorporate a small mixer. essentially the same setup one would use in a traditional live setting.  One channel for the backing track, one channel for the Helix and one channel for the mic.  You should be able to find a small mixer for around $100 that could handle that setup and give you all the flexibility and control you need.