Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Working with 4 stomps and 4 snapshots per preset. Help me understaaand!

ekrasts

Hey folks - I've got my floor unit set up to have 4 snapshots across the bottom, 4 stomps across the top for each preset.  The goal is for each preset to represent a specific amp/guitar tone with the snapshots set for common or specific song parts (verse, chorus, lead, etc).  I'm hoping to use the 4 stomps for in-the-moment adjustments, adding or bypassing an effect, etc.

It's close, BUT.  I find that when I select a stomp, the selection applies only while I stay in the same snapshot.  When I switch to the next section of the tune, the effect won't be there unless I kick it again.  I was hoping/assuming the stomps would stay active across snapshots.  Like saying "If I stomp this, just leave it on in all my snapshots until I un-stomp it." But I can't find a setting to make it so.  Am I asking too much? Doing it wrong?  I find this is the most confusing part of working with Helix.

Here's what a sample preset looks like for me right now:

Preset:  12A Telecaster Twin

FS2-5 = stomps (e.g. slapback, chorus, etc)

FS7-10 = snapshots (e.g. clean, overdrive, lead built with a combination of amp, IR, distortion, compression, EQ and reverb)

Thanks for any insights you've got!

By default, snapshots recall the bypass state of every block in the preset along with whatever parameter values you have assigned to controllers. There was a feature added in the 2.80 update called "Snapshot Bypass". It's a parameter that you set for every block. It's set to On by default. It determines whether or not a block's bypass state will be recalled by snapshots. It sounds like for those four effect you're talking about, you'd want to have that set to Off. To get to it on the unit, hit the Action button, and you'll see the Snapshot Bypass parameter. This, of course, also means those blocks won't be affected by your snapshot selection at all (unless you have some of their parameters tied to controllers.).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/25/2019 at 12:29 AM, ekrasts said:

I was hoping/assuming the stomps would stay active across snapshots.  Like saying "If I stomp this, just leave it on in all my snapshots until I un-stomp it." But I can't find a setting to make it so.  Am I asking too much? Doing it wrong?

On 12/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, phil_m said:

There was a feature added in the 2.80 update called "Snapshot Bypass". It's a parameter that you set for every block. It's set to On by default. It determines whether or not a block's bypass state will be recalled by snapshots. It sounds like for those four effect you're talking about, you'd want to have that set to Off.

15 hours ago, ekrasts said:

Thanks Phil -  super helpful.  Not exactly what I was after, but it makes sense.

@ekrasts  Can I ask.... how is Phil's response "not exactly what you were after"?   :) 

it was created by Line 6 to solve the very problem you were having! 

Or was it just the terminology that throws you... not the function of it?