Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab 212+ and a DT50 via L6 link - doable?

MrAnudo

HELLO!

So a few months ago my DT50 212 combo died. I mean super died. There's no more parts left for this tone monster of an amp... I LOVED that amp!

What I really loved about it was I could daisy chain it to my DT50 head sitting on my 4x12 via the L6 link. So I could get a great stereo field separation from my HD500x or Helix going to a daisy chained DT50 combo 212 which fed into my DT50 head 4x12.

So instead of buying another DT50 combo to replace the dead one - I got the power cab 212+. Admittedly, it's pretty nice on it's own or with the Helix. 

What I cannot seem to do is get these two amps (DT50 head and Powercab 212+) to daisy chain to each other by the L6 link. Doesn't matter which order - - the furthest in the chain never gets signal.

Any ideas on this? Or is there no hope of having the PC212+ be able to do what my old DT50 combo used to be able to do... unless I get another powercab (ugh). Page 23 & 24 of the manual describe how to daisy chain Powercabs.. but nothing else. So I'm thinking I know my answer.  :(   but was reaching out for some hope.

Lemme know your thoughts and thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I had a similar question as MrAnudo;

I want to connect my JTV-59 through the Helix into my DT50-212 and Powercab+ so that the mags output to the DT50 and the Variax models to the Powercab. I would setup the patch so the the mags and Variax models would be on separate paths. I could then select between them via snapshots or fade between them using volume blocks at the end of the signal chain. This seems like it would be a common use case for a full Line 6 guitar rig. 

Are there any plans to add this capability? And is there a way to achieve such a setup?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, dennisvasek said:

I had a similar question as MrAnudo;

I want to connect my JTV-59 through the Helix into my DT50-212 and Powercab+ so that the mags output to the DT50 and the Variax models to the Powercab. I would setup the patch so the the mags and Variax models would be on separate paths. I could then select between them via snapshots or fade between them using volume blocks at the end of the signal chain. This seems like it would be a common use case for a full Line 6 guitar rig. 

Are there any plans to add this capability? And is there a way to achieve such a setup?

Thanks!

I don’t think there’s a way to do it right now apart from controlling one of the devices with MIDI and using an analog input for that device. The problem is that the L6 Link connection won’t pass the control information on from a PC+ to the DT50 or vice versa.

I really doubt that there will be a change to this just because from what I understand the whole L6 Link implementation was really a bear to begin with. I just think the number users who would even want to use both devices at the same time is probably really small. So I just don’t see Line 6 investing more time and resources into going down that path.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil.I feel like the answer to my next question will be the same... What about using 2 powercabs?  The idea is to use one optimised for mag pickups (using the PC with IRs thereby taking the DSP load off the Helix) and the other PC optimised for the Variax acoustic models. I supposed I could route a 1/4" output to the PC dedicated to the acoustic models since it would stay in FRFR mode. Anyway, is such a thing possible via the L6 Link if I stick with using Powercabs?

It's a little frustrating that the Helix can't do this since it was possible in the Pod HD500 series. Check out this video:

On 9/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, dennisvasek said:

Thanks Phil.I feel like the answer to my next question will be the same... What about using 2 powercabs?  The idea is to use one optimised for mag pickups (using the PC with IRs thereby taking the DSP load off the Helix) and the other PC optimised for the Variax acoustic models. I supposed I could route a 1/4" output to the PC dedicated to the acoustic models since it would stay in FRFR mode. Anyway, is such a thing possible via the L6 Link if I stick with using Powercabs?

It's a little frustrating that the Helix can't do this since it was possible in the Pod HD500 series. Check out this video:

I own two PC212+ and use a Helix to chain them with L6 Link.  When doing so, one PowerCab gets the Left side and one PowerCab gets the Right side of the stereo image. 

The output block on the Helix has access to control the PowerCab speaker mode, as well as the model selection.  This can be set globally, or per patch.  You can also control the speaker model on each the left vs the right separately. 

I'm not sure if you use two cabs whether you can set one cab to flat and one to speaker model.  Based on my recollection of the options in the UI, I think the answer is probably no.  However, since you can set the settings per patch (and probably even snapshots), you should be able to switch from speaker to FRFR and back as needed.

• Like 1