Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Serious Helix 2.82 bug (Christmas research)[Updated]

havkayak

27 minutes ago, bsd512 said:

I can see losing a little confidence in something that has a (minor) flaw. However, extrapolating that minor and easily rectified flaw to a larger or more frequent and higher probability failure leaving you silent at a gig doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Also, it tends to indicate that you are not prepared to deal with any issue, like a bad cable or similar. No product is perfect, stuff happens. And you can extrapolate that statement to all aspects of life.

Move on to another product if you must. I don't see a fan club here, I see people confirming the flaw and offering work-arounds so you can navigate it. If you do move on, be prepared to deal with different flaws from the different products or rigs you go to next, or you'll be jumping from modeler to modeler and spending a lot of time and money unnecessarily.

Well you are right in many things. But not on the conclusions you make for me. I have no problem. I dealt with in my way - and for most people that's the best way. I've just shed light on a phenomenon (well, two). If that's not allowed in her, yes, then I get the "fan-club" feeling.

22 hours ago, havkayak said:

I've just shed light on a phenomenon (well, two).

And more than one of us did confirm your preset had a problem. 

Then I built your preset from scratch in both Native, and on the Unit itself. Both presets DID NOT suffer the same problem.

Those are my findings... as you have clearly stated, my opinions were not asked for so I'm sorry I provided those without your request! 

22 hours ago, havkayak said:

then I get the "fan-club" feeling.

Most of us are enthusiastic Helix owners/users, not fan boi's... not part of a fan club.  Some are hobbyists, some weekend warrior, and some are professional musicians. 

We help those that have problems with the unit. We do not have a problem confirming a bug... and most of us here admitted your preset contains some sort of bug, regardless of how it got introduced into the system. As "users" we like to help people through there agony... and we find ways to "successfully" work around those problems (even when they don't ask for help)... but we also defend the unit from ridiculous accusations and claims. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, codamedia said:

And more than one of us did confirm your preset had a problem. 

Then I built your preset from scratch in both Native, and on the Unit itself. Both presets DID NOT suffer the same problem.

Those are my findings... as you have clearly stated, my opinions were not asked for. I'm sorry I provided those without your request! 

No, that is exactly what I talk about. It's nice that you came to that conclusion. Others might find something else. If nobody else find it, it will be a closed case. Line 6 will hear nothing about it. In the other case, then you alone can't prevent it. Then Line 6 will look into it. But what you now imply, that I don't like that you share your experience, Is totally wrong. Opinions are wanted if they are focused on the case itself, and not the OP.

On 12/31/2019 at 12:29 PM, havkayak said:

Well you are right in many things. But not on the conclusions you make for me. I have no problem. I dealt with in my way - and for most people that's the best way. I've just shed light on a phenomenon (well, two). If that's not allowed in her, yes, then I get the "fan-club" feeling.

I didn't say you had a problem. I'm glad you don't. And dealing with it in your own way - sure, I don't think anyone expects otherwise.

Shedding light on issues is certainly allowed and appreciated. Not sure where you got the impression it wasn't allowed. If it wasn't allowed, a moderator would have come along and deleted your thread.

Seems like there's a failure to communicate clearly here. If I can attempt summarize what your want out of this ... and you can correct me.

1. You wanted to shed light on a problem. You did so effectively - thanks to the help of fellow forum members who took the time to follow your instructions which take many hours to execute.

2. You don't want any help or solutions to it. You didn't state that up front.

3. You want it to be known that you brought this up to Line 6 support, and they - I'm a bit confused on this part - they acknowledged the problem but then told you to go pound sand? Or they couldn't reproduce the problem? I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I've only just read this post - I know, slow!

But I noticed after the last upgrade that there was no volume on some of my patches. Not all, just some.

And then I realised that, for some reason, Helix had decided to put a volume block at the beginning, set for a pedal at 0%! Remove it, and bingo, all there.

What it appears is that original Line 6 patches seem to have grown this extra block, but not mine or other third party presets.

Weird, but there you go.

And I'm sure someone's already pointed this out; if so, sorry

18 hours ago, trolley said:

I've only just read this post - I know, slow!

But I noticed after the last upgrade that there was no volume on some of my patches. Not all, just some.

And then I realised that, for some reason, Helix had decided to put a volume block at the beginning, set for a pedal at 0%! Remove it, and bingo, all there.

What it appears is that original Line 6 patches seem to have grown this extra block, but not mine or other third party presets.

Weird, but there you go.

And I'm sure someone's already pointed this out; if so, sorry

After the last update the EXP parameters reset to per preset and all of the pedal settings defaulted to 0% for some reason. I have several patches where I use the pitch shift to bring the guitar down two octaves (like a DJ tape stop sort of effect) and the pitch shift would turn on with the toe switch. After the last update when I would activate the pitch shift it was already set to "heel down" position so I would have to pull the pedal down, push it back up, deactivate the effect with the toe switch, then resave the patch to get the desired effect. Kind of a pain in the lollipop, but I'm sure with those presets if you rocked the pedal back forth the volume would come back without needing to completely delete the preset.

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm just reading this post. I noticed that you have the Texas Cali amp model in your preset with the bass set to zero. There was an issue of volume loss on a preset with the Texas Cali amp bass set to zero. I had this same thing happen to me when they first added the Texas Cali amps. I reported this bug to Line 6 support and they confirmed that it was a bug. I don't know if it has ever been fixed in another update. I kept adjusting the bass on my preset one step at a time and the bug went away after setting the bass to 0.8 or higher. Might be worth a try. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Line6Nelson and @rwhite137 

Great info provided from both of you.... thanks for the insight.

One Last Update from my end for this thread.

I opened the OP's original preset once again for some more tests based on this more recent information about the Texas Cali Amps....

• When I raised the bass to just 0.1.... the preset DID NOT fade away after 3 hours (I actually let it run for 6 to test)
  • When I lowered the bass on the amp back to 0... the preset FADED around the 3 hour mark as it had previously.
  • With the preset producing zero volume.... all I did was raise the bass to 0.1 and it brought the preset back to life... just like reloading the preset. 

@havkayak ... Please read the very helpful posts provided about the Texas Cali amp, and please see my findings in this post.

If you re-submit your problem (and preset) to Line 6, and get them to focus on the "Texas Cali Amp" with "Bass at 0"... I am sure they will take it seriously and try to find a fix. In the meantime, I can't see how raising the bass to 0.1 would effect the tone of your preset... surely you can put the unit through it's paces at rehearsal and hopefully gain back the confidence to take it to the stage. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 1/2/2020 at 9:34 PM, Line6Nelson said:

@havkayak, I'm able to reproduce this and the cause is known. Until this has been formally addressed, you can work around this issue by increasing the "Bass" value to 0.1.

Thank you.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:05 PM, rwhite137 said:

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm just reading this post. I noticed that you have the Texas Cali amp model in your preset with the bass set to zero. There was an issue of volume loss on a preset with the Texas Cali amp bass set to zero. I had this same thing happen to me when they first added the Texas Cali amps. I reported this bug to Line 6 support and they confirmed that it was a bug. I don't know if it has ever been fixed in another update. I kept adjusting the bass on my preset one step at a time and the bug went away after setting the bass to 0.8 or higher. Might be worth a try. 

Thanks! Really interesting what you write! I've never seen what you say about Cali Texas, even though I've been searching quite a bit for Helix bugs lately. Though I did not run into the problem when running the amp in another chain-design. But then I might had the bass above 0.0. It makes sense, because I've never seen the problem after placing five (I think) other amps in the chain. I will try it out for sure.

I have absolutely no knowledge about how this software is constructed. Well, I have no knowledge in programming at all. But IF the problem is isolated to that amp, then I assume that this chunc of information (Cali Texas) will not be in the RAM if I choose another amp (Litigator). My thoughts have been that it could be some strange "interference" between two or more blocks when tweaked in the "right/wrong" way to each other. The Line 6 version of the patch worked fine, but it was tweaked differently. When I tweaked it, it stopped working. (Silence between 30 minutes and three hours.) In my head, then the bug could show up anywhere/anytime, just like a lottery.) If this is the case (problem in a chunk of information that I can ommit), I might even lower my shoulders when it comes to my worries about instability of the software. Then I could trust a patch (read an array of tweaked blocks of information - in my head a patch is just a log-file of "settings") if I test the patch for a period of time.

Line 6 reported the problem as gone in their version of the patch. I will for sure load their version of the patch again and see if the bass in Cali Texas is abowe 0.0. But if this was confirmed by Line 6 as a bug a long time ago, and they are not able to fix it, then I think they should at least inform about it.

So if anyone could confirm (or dismiss) any of my software assumtions, it would be helpful for me. At least as a first step towards trusting my Helix again ;-)

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, havkayak said:

Thanks! Really interesting what you write! I've never seen what you say about Cali Texas, even though I've been searching quite a bit for Helix bugs lately. Though I did not run into the problem when running the amp in another chain-design. But then I might had the bass above 0.0. It makes sense, because I've never seen the problem after placing five (I think) other amps in the chain. I will try it out for sure.

I have absolutely no knowledge about how this software is constructed. Well, I have no knowledge in programming at all. But IF the problem is isolated to that amp, then I assume that this chunc of information (Cali Texas) will not be in the RAM if I choose another amp (Litigator). My thoughts have been that it could be some strange "interference" between two or more blocks when tweaked in the "right/wrong" way to each other. The Line 6 version of the patch worked fine, but it was tweaked differently. When I tweaked it, it stopped working. (Silence between 30 minutes and three hours.) In my head, then the bug could show up anywhere/anytime, just like a lottery.) If this is the case (problem in a chunk of information that I can ommit), I might even lower my shoulders when it comes to my worries about instability of the software. Then I could trust a patch (read an array of tweaked blocks of information - in my head a patch is just a log-file of "settings") if I test the patch for a period of time.

Line 6 reported the problem as gone in their version of the patch. I will for sure load their version of the patch again and see if the bass in Cali Texas is abowe 0.0. But if this was confirmed by Line 6 as a bug a long time ago, and they are not able to fix it, then I think they should at least inform about it.

So if anyone could confirm (or dismiss) any of my software assumtions, it would be helpful for me. At least as a first step towards trusting my Helix again ;-)

Thanks again!

This symptom is isolated to the Cali Texas Ch2 and will be addressed in an upcoming release. It will not cause issues when you load other models. This issue was fixed for Ch1 in a prior release, but we somehow missed that it was occurring with the other channel as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:37 PM, codamedia said:

@Line6Nelson and @rwhite137 

Great info provided from both of you.... thanks for the insight.

One Last Update from my end for this thread.

I opened the OP's original preset once again for some more tests based on this more recent information about the Texas Cali Amps....

• When I raised the bass to just 0.1.... the preset DID NOT fade away after 3 hours (I actually let it run for 6 to test)
  • When I lowered the bass on the amp back to 0... the preset FADED around the 3 hour mark as it had previously.
  • With the preset producing zero volume.... all I did was raise the bass to 0.1 and it brought the preset back to life... just like reloading the preset. 

@havkayak ... Please read the very helpful posts provided about the Texas Cali amp, and please see my findings in this post.

If you re-submit your problem (and preset) to Line 6, and get them to focus on the "Texas Cali Amp" with "Bass at 0"... I am sure they will take it seriously and try to find a fix. In the meantime, I can't see how raising the bass to 0.1 would effect the tone of your preset... surely you can put the unit through it's paces at rehearsal and hopefully gain back the confidence to take it to the stage. 

I did have the same problem on 2.82 with my patches ...suddenly when bass i changed from 0.1 to some value ...all sound has changed :((

Cannot reproduce it :(