Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stagesource L2m Vs. Zlx-12p For Personal Modeling Amplification/monitoring?

I've been keeping up with the ElectroVoice ZLX-12P and had more or less settled on purchasing one to use as my modeling "amp."  However, I decided to do a little more research into the Line6 StageSource products, and now I'm torn.

I'll be running a non-Variax electric into my Pod X3 Live.  Recently, my wife and I had twins, so I'm taking a break from the band and this will be used at home for the foreseeable future, tilted back as a monitor.  At some point, I will likely go back to gigging (small clubs), and I'll be using these as a personal monitor, running an XLR to the board for FOH sound.

Although the reviews on the ZLX have been mostly favorable, I am concerned that there must have been some cost-cutting with some components and it may not be something I can rely on for years to come.  That being said, at this time, I don't plan on using a lot of the other features of the L2M, such as expanding to a large, linked PA system.

Does anybody have experience with both of these specific models that can share some observations.  Is the extra cost of the StageSource speaker "worth it" for me?

• 9 months later...
At some point, I will likely go back to gigging (small clubs), and I'll be using these as a personal monitor, running an XLR to the board for FOH sound.That being said, at this time, I don't plan on using a lot of the other features of the L2M, such as expanding to a large, linked PA system. Is the extra cost of the StageSource speaker "worth it" for me?

For the cost, and given that you are on the X3L; it might be hard to justify the expense. I own an HD500, a DT25, a JTV59, an M20d mixer, an Avid Eleven Rack, and a pair of L2t's; I am just getting back into playing music after a few years hiatus, and working with some guys, trying to get ourselves gig worthy. I approached the thought process of all this gear, as being able to both mix from stage, and record multi-track at rehearsals and gigs. The idea that I could also do a small gig with just one L2t is also appealing. The "t" has the onboard mixer, the "m" does not. I also like the idea that if I want to run the POD in "studio direct" instead of using the DT25 in link mode, the L2 would be a nice option. Flexibility was paramount in my decision. I took a long time to upgrade - bought the HD500 in '10, just made the leap to the rest of that gear over the last few months of 2014.

For the X3L, the StageSource would be a great sounding option; but a big part of the expense comes from the thought that you would eventually want to "scale up". That being said, I was just about to buy the L2m, when I read some previous posting and conversations centered around Ron Marton's observations here and here about what you get with the L2t for $100 more than the L2m. Do yourself a favor and before you buy anything, read why Ron thinks the "t" is worth the extra $100 over the "m". Especially if you intend to use it in small clubs as well as at home. With an L2t, you would be able to run your X3L into it direct, and also have a mic going, and another friend plugging their instrument in as well.

And for what it's worth, the L2/L3 (not sure if on both m and t) have an "acoustic" modeler, that when you attach a piezo acoustic guitar type pickup to it, it can emulate the sound of that guitar as it is mic'd. That is a cool idea; the direct sound of an acoustic can be a bit clanky, and it's difficult to make it sound right with things like EQ, etc.

With one L2 speaker and none of the L6Link capability, you maybe don't need to go that route. But in terms of spending around / at least $400 on the EV, you may at least want to do yourself the favor of researching how a pair of L2t's (or L3t's) can be two-way linked to create a stereo sound system, and how the inputs can be used "sans outboard mixer", IE, you can use the onboard mixers on both L2t's to run a small rig of vocals, guitars, mics, etc - without needing an additional outboard mixer.

IF you ever intend to upgrade to the HD500 system, or want to eventually more fully utilize the expandability of the StageSource and StageScape systems, you can "try" those speakers with zero risk at the moment. For example, if you have the $$ to buy at least one, places like Sweetwater are doing a full "we'll pay your shipping back to us" offer on the L2t's. I see a link on Line6 where they say "test drive StageSource at no cost"

I don't know the EV so can't comment on it as a comparison to the L6 gear. EV has a 12" speaker, the L2 has a 10". The one important key distinction really centers around the L6Link function, both to other L2/L3 speakers, to an HD500 modeler, or to an M20d mixer. That is where you get the extra cost value from. Read up on how they auto-sense their vertical or horizontal orientation, and when daisy chained using the L6Link, they define themselves in the signal chain as monitors or mains accordingly. That being said, you would have to spend a serious amount of $$ to get a full system, of a couple mains and a couple monitors, which ultimately, may be a temptation you would prefer to avoid, with a new family, a budget for $4,000+ in audio gear may not be in your forseeable future.

ALSO, there are comments regarding the fan issues in the L2m & L2t. Line6 has stated they are looking into a different fan system for cooling, so down the "Line" (please forgive the pun!), there may be a newer / upgraded version of these speakers. I don't know. Personally, I will finally get to test drive my new L2t's tomorrow afternoon, so I will have a better idea of their volume, clarity, and how well they work with my HD500 and test their Link capability.

I liked my X3L, I used it for years. I ended up sellling it in 2010 to fund the purchase of an HD500, and while the HD series is very "guitar" focused, as a system, it does allow substantial upgrade options using that L6Link. Again, all comes down to volume needs and budget constraints!

• 1 year later...

I know this is a slightly older thread, but want to add a little to it...

I've been asking the same questions...I have an Eleven Rack (and PODxt) and was looking at a powered speaker / FRFR set up - mostly for the 11r to play live. I've tried running it through the effects return of my Marshall head, but had no volume control and had also considered a Tech 21 Power amp...

I picked up an L2T at Sweetwater last week, and wasn't entirely happy with it at the time. It sounded just ok - but that very well could be the 11r's presets, as they aren't actually the greatest. I have since gotten Singtall's preset pack - if you have an 11r, I highly recommend you get them. So far my favorite is the Lincoln Blues.

Anyhow, I was at Guitar Center yesterday and they had the ZLX12P for $399 and I thought I would try them. They are so much lighter than the L2T, that's a big plus (but there's something to be said about a wood cab though...). Composite material vs wood.

I tested these side by side, using the same guitar, cables and preset through the 11r.

I have to say the Line 6 L2T sounded much better. Noticeably more crisp - Much better sounding to my ears. The EV speakers sounded a little muddy. So that means the EV's go back. I've already packed them back in the box and ready to return.

HOWEVER - I'm also considering taking the L2T back and go for the L3T. Not sure how much more I get out of them bigger speaker (other than weight! and 1400 watts)... I would like to get a big more volume. I'm not sure what I introduce by boosting the volume of my 11r at a particular power setting on speaker, I just don't want to add unintended distortion, and/or stress to the amp on the speaker.

HOWEVER - I'm also considering taking the L2T back and go for the L3T. Not sure how much more I get out of them bigger speaker (other than weight! and 1400 watts)... I would like to get a big more volume. I'm not sure what I introduce by boosting the volume of my 11r at a particular power setting on speaker, I just don't want to add unintended distortion, and/or stress to the amp on the speaker.

Unless you're trying to rattle your filings loose, or have neighbors that you detest, the L2T is plenty loud. I think 3's are really intended to be part of a full PA set-up for really big rooms.

Unless you're trying to rattle your filings loose, or have neighbors that you detest, the L2T is plenty loud. I think 3's are really intended to be part of a full PA set-up for really big rooms.

I always wanted to be a dentist....naw just kidding. Always wanted to be rockstar! :-)

So here's the thing - how much volume would you have going to the PA/REF XLR jack (back panel) from the 11r? I usually run about 7.0 while I was testing, but that meant pushing the power to 3/4 full on the speaker. Would the amp/speaker be harmed by running the output volume from 11r higher? If not, then that would give me that bigger volume I'm sure.

I think Sweetwater would let me use an iso-room and put the two side by side. Dunno - The l3t isn't that much more than the l2t normally - like $150 more...but the speaker I got was a demo, so I did get an nice break on price - but they don't have any l3t demo units at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know the answer to this too

When I had an XT live I used to run it at 90% volume into a powered speaker with no problems

I upgraded to a hd500 and found it much quieter through the same speaker

Switched to a zoom g5 and blew the speaker (or at least finished it off after the hd500 had softened it up)

So I ended up getting an amp (I figured it would take more of a beating)

Now I have the firehawk and I'm tempted to try a stagesource speaker but my experiences have me confused about how I should set that up?

Should I set the firehawk at a certain volume and adjust my overall volume using the stagesource volume knob or vice versa?

I'd hate to buy one and blow it up

Here's what I'll say about the L2t vs L3t.  First off that we are going for the "t" version makes the most sense unless you know you're never going to just go out and jam with just a single speaker.  Contrary to popular belief, the L2t actually makes more sense if you're going full PA as the top 10" speaker on the L3t is for low frequencies. 

Since the subs crossover the low frequency speaker in the L3t doesn't get a ton of work when integrated with the L3s subs in a full PA setup.  They do add a bit but you could easily get away with the L2t's in a full PA set up.  I had already gone with the L3t before I figured this out but I wish I had gone with the lighter smaller speakers.   So if you're trying to decide between L2t and L3t it's down to whether you need a little more bottom end when being used as a stand alone speaker or just a pair with no subs.

As far as between the EV and the L6 L series for guitar, while I have no experience with the EV, I don't think I've heard a full range speaker that can give your modelled amps that organic guitar amp tone that the L series can.  It's amazing.  I used to use the Bose L1 personal PAs and while they provide a nice crisp vocal sound and they do a decent job on guitar, I think the line 6 speakers just sound that much more like a real amp.