Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible Bug or Corrupted PreSet Slots

guitarnstuff

Hi All:

Hoping someone can give me some ideas. I had a "setlist" programmed but decided I wanted to copy it so that I could re-level patches without effecting my originals. So, I did a full Helix back up. FYI I am running 2.82 on Helix and 2.82 HX Edit. Then I exported my setlist which was in setlist slot 4 and imported it into slot 3. It was not a successful import an got multiple error messages. I then tried doing so in slot 5 and same result. Error message (which I forgot to take a picture of) and the screen on the Helix went dead. Disconnected from computer and restarted Helix and Computer. Helix started rebuilding some presets. I even tired restoring to my original full Helix backup and trying again. Same result. So, looking at the result, there are patches 86, 87, 88, 89 that did not properly bring in names. So I tried writing over them with a empty present from another spot in the list. No luck. I tried to rename them, that worked, but they will not save any changes to the patch i.e. amps, pedals, etc.  So it seems that I have corrupt slots. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Chris

Update: I noticed that even some factory patches were messed up and the Helix was acting very laggy on saving. So, I factory reset and restored by backup (only IRs and my custom patches). Now everything seems to be working in it's previous glory. Wow! That was scary!  Remember to back up boys and girls.

:-) I did not read your second post... :-)

I also had some problem with naming when updating to version 2.80, I remember. But not as bad as you are talking about. I can't remember how I got rid of it, but I know I did some factory resets etc. I think the best place to start is there. I send you a link to Helix Help. Here you will get information on how to do it.

https://helixhelp.netlify.com/

https://helixhelp.netlify.com/manuals/helix/reset-options.html

• 2 months later...

I believe I just SOLVED this bug. I worked around it for awhile, but it blocked me from doing a cleanup and reorg this week.

In only one setlist, slots 28A to 30D were corrupted. HX Edit could not export them or import or paste new presets into those slots without crashing the Helix and requiring a reboot. I could Save another preset onto a corrupted slot, though. The contents and name displayed on the Helix showed Fender Blah Blah, but HX Edit showed New Preset and no blocks. Both Edit and device were on 2.82. Just for kicks, I deleted my HX Edit install (macOS) and reinstalled it from .DMG. No effect.

I exported all my other setlists to backup. I had to export this setlist's presets a few at a time and folder them. I rebooted with 7+8 held to reset all presets to factory. THAT DID IT. I was able to drag-drop and copy-paste presets into those slots again.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, johnbeamon said:

I believe I just SOLVED this bug. I worked around it for awhile, but it blocked me from doing a cleanup and reorg this week.

In only one setlist, slots 28A to 30D were corrupted. HX Edit could not export them or import or paste new presets into those slots without crashing the Helix and requiring a reboot. I could Save another preset onto a corrupted slot, though. The contents and name displayed on the Helix showed Fender Blah Blah, but HX Edit showed New Preset and no blocks. Both Edit and device were on 2.82. Just for kicks, I deleted my HX Edit install (macOS) and reinstalled it from .DMG. No effect.

I exported all my other setlists to backup. I had to export this setlist's presets a few at a time and folder them. I rebooted with 7+8 held to reset all presets to factory. THAT DID IT. I was able to drag-drop and copy-paste presets into those slots again.

Hope your post helps some other folks out. I have always thought it was a good idea when doing a firmware upgrade to take that extra step to create a system backup, backup your setlists and presets, and then do the reset combination to install the latest factory setlists. Then restore your user setlists and restart your device to allow the presets to rebuild. It seems to result in fewer issues down the line and that way you also get the latest factory presets.

Even using what I consider to be best practice when upgrading firmware though there are some bugs on 2.82 in the memory management on preset import/export and copy and paste. For example, using HX Edit I have had certain presets where when I copy them to  a new slot as I start to edit them things get a bit wonky. The preset does not seem to be properly measuring the available DSP on the freshly copied preset. For example deleting a couple of blocks and trying to copy and paste one in from one path to the other will not work, even though there should be adequate DSP available after your deletion on that path.  Usually just saving and switching away from the copied preset and then back to it sets things right and you can now copy/paste the block but that definitely appears to be some sort of bug.

1 hour ago, johnbeamon said:

This is not permanently solved. I was able to import all my setlists again. I was moving things around. About 40 slots at the bottom of a setlist started displaying random characters, both in Edit and on the device. The paste operation failed, saying "No symbol lookup table for models and parameters". This has failed both importing a setlist and importing a folder of individual patches. It's actually getting WORSE, an hour after it rebooted all clean and perfect. My last effort to import some patches made the Helix screen light up blank white and Edit report Service is not online (code -8207).

Yep me too, cannot do a simple back up with the corrupt patches in place about 28A - 30D on mine  and trying to overwrite them with a different or blank preset crashes the unit. Is there ANYBODY at Line 6 reading this stuff and working on this problem. Its pretty important as we are advised to back up regularly but I cannot. Nor can I without a back up facility use my Helix Native properly as a cannot exchange patches from the Helix Floor to Native via Edit

21 minutes ago, robchilds said:

Yep me too, cannot do a simple back up with the corrupt patches in place about 28A - 30D on mine  and trying to overwrite them with a different or blank preset crashes the unit. Is there ANYBODY at Line 6 reading this stuff and working on this problem. Its pretty important as we are advised to back up regularly but I cannot. Nor can I without a back up facility use my Helix Native properly as a cannot exchange patches from the Helix Floor to Native via Edit

Your best bet is to open a support ticket if you want to get a response from Line 6. Some Line 6 employees post on the forums sporadically, but these are user forums. They're not really a customer support venue for Line 6.

This happens to me frequently, here is my fix.  

1. Backup (export) any 'good' setlists/presets)

2. disconnect Helix from cpu, and uninstall HX Edit/Updater.  

3. I do the 7 & 8 restart option.  This clears all setlists/presets and installs the factory default presets.

4. Go to L6 website and redownload the HX Edit/Updater software and install

5. Turn Helix off, connect to cpu, start HX Edit, connect Helix

6. Import your 'good' setlists/presets that you exported earlier. 

This seems to work for me....taking my time it took about 5 minutes to go through everything.  Inconvenient yes, but easily fixed now that I have a process.  There can be some work lost, but its better than wiping the whole thing clean and starting 'over'.

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue. As themetallikid said it does not take an extreme amount of time to get things working again, but it is pretty inconvenient and just seems to happen randomly. Yesterday I wanted to export a setlist for reason of backup. There were only a few presets in the setlist and for whatever reason all of a sudden presets well below (don't know the exact number, must be around 20 or so) started showing no characters, of only a few. I tried pasting presets into those slots but without any luck.

So, yes, the "fix" is pretty easy, but this simply should not happen. Quite a few people seem to suffer from the issue so this definitely should be on the "to-do"  list for the Line 6 folks working on the software. I'll open a ticket referring to this thread (and actually, there are quite a few others). See what happens ....

• Like 1