Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Want to buy helix LT

Salifmo

Good day 

I’m considering to buy a line 6 helix lt but just want to clarify somethings before so researching for a while I gather that the system is very versatile and can be used for a lot of things.Im mainly a bed room player,heavily recording and very rare occasional performances.Does the line 6 helix lt cover these margins? I was looking at the line 6 helix and was watching comparisons forums on it but seem not to be clear on it as people were going back and fought on it?

Who's fighting about what? Never mind... it doesn't matter.

Yes, you can record with it... in a bedroom, bathroom, attic, or dungeon. Yes, you can play live with it... anywhere from Walt's Trout Hut to Madison Square Garden. Do both on the same day, if it twirls your beenie...

• Like 1

I am a bedroom player too and the LT does almost all the things the full Helix does. What’s missing is mostly connectivity to tie in more stomps, control amps, and getting more visual feedback on what is or can be controlled in your patch. The latter one would not miss in a typical bedroom playing scenario. If you need or want to use lots of external gear (you potentially already have) take a look at the differences in input/output options and decide whether the LT offers enough options for you.

I use USB to connect audio and MIDI to a DAW running on a MAC or a looper and mixer on an iPad. The latter also supports playing backing tracks, and I have used the iPad to control the LT via BlueTooth using a fairly cheap BT to MIDI converter plugged in the LT MIDI ports.

For sound I primarily use 5” studio monitors, but good studio headphones and my DT25 will do too without any unexpected issues (if you make reasonable adjustments, i.e., headphones tend to overemphasize effects and real guitar amps are obviously not full range amplification systems and have their own speakers - use preamp models w/o speakers as a start - but don’t let that limit your imagination. If you like a full amp model going through your guitar amp and speaker, just enjoy it).

Enjoy the ride, no matter whether you pick an LT or a full Helix.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salifmo said:

Im mainly a bed room player,heavily recording and very rare occasional performances.

With a good set of Studio Monitors the LT will serve you well. 

Do you have an interface for recording. or were you planning on using the Helix?

If this will be the job of the Helix keep in mind the LT has less inputs/outputs than it's bigger brother, and also does not have a MIC input. Other than that... they are virtually the same. 

FEATURES THE HELIX HAS OVER THE HELIX LT
Only you can decide if any of these matter

• 2 additional sends (4 instead of 2)
  • 2 additional returns (4 instead of 2)
  • Scribble strips (LT compensates this with performance view)
  • Separate headphone volume
  • Microphone input with switchable phantom power
  • Option of re-assigning 2 additional foot switches to stomps (10 stomp mode instead of 8)
  • Digital I/O (spdif)
  • 2 Expression Pedal jacks (LT has 1)
  • External amp output (LT has to reassign EXP jack for this)
  • CV output
  • Sturdier construction.... 

• Like 1

I’m in pretty much the same situation as you. I play mostly at home, I also play bass in a church band. The lt is awesome, the only things I wonder about is how useful the headphone volume knob would be and what kind of sound I could get out of my mic using the helix. But I have an interface and daws have compressors and eqs to shape the mic, I have a tc mic mechanic for live vocals and the interface also has a headphone volume knob so I don’t think I’m really missing out by having the LT. 

the biggest difference in your situation I would say is the full Floor has a Mic input.  If you don't need to be able to do vocals through your Helix, then the LT is probably all (if not more) than you'll need. I've got the LT, and don't regret it at all. 

I think the LT is the perfect option for you.  The way you describe things is that you probably don't need the full power of the main Helix system and the LT give you a full pedal board experience with a lower price point. You could probably use the HX-Stomp system for what you describe but would likely miss having access to the various stomp boxes.  My typical rig has 3 OD's, 1 Modulation, 1/4-Tape-delay, dot1/8-Digi-delay, 1/8-Analog-delay, Big Verb all on button access.  This allows for most songs on a single patch.