Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

anyone sorry they bought the Powercab112 instead of the PC+?

Hey_Joe

Can anyone of you good people share your experience with regretting not buying the PC+ instead of the plain PC?
I have read all the specs and definitely know the differences between the 2 model's abilities on paper. But are there any real life anecdotal experiences of regret not buying the PC+. I am using a Headrush108 now but I want to experience the amp in the room feeling. I'm not sure if I can live without the extra speaker sims and L6link/midi, extra speakers and update capabilities of a PC+. With a plain PC I can experience what I get with the Headrush but will also get the amp in the room from speaker sims and that's all I really need. My HelixLT should give me plenty of control of the parameters.  I am not using it live or plan to at this point in time. Will I really regret not spending the extra $300 on the plus - (of course no one can really answer that question for ME, I am just looking for advice based on your personal experience if you felt the need to upgrade to the PLUS and why. Or, was it a no brainer and you just knew the PC+ was where it's at from the start)?

Thanks in advance,
Hey_Joe

they will both do the same thing sound wise, But you cant switch between the different speaker types or to FRFR mode from the helix on a preset or snapshot without getting the

Powercab Plus. So if you have a Helix The Plus is the only way to go... Unles you like the same speaker selection for all your presets and snapshots...... 

Thanks for your perspective tooloudtoobad.

As only a studio player these days, I guess for a $300 savings I could get off my butt and switch the PC to one of the only six speaker types if I want a change. Seems like a PLUS is the key to take full advantage of all the Helix's capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks!

Many pc + users have complained that the pc + comes set up with a huge negative db setting,  that makes the amp out-of-the-box set at a lower volume.

Since the pc standard does not have editing capabilities, can anyone confirm that pc standard amps are not set with a low db setting and should not have the loudness issue that pc + users have complained about?

thanks

On 1/14/2020 at 7:37 AM, talonmm said:

Since the pc standard does not have editing capabilities, can anyone confirm that pc standard amps are not set with a low db setting and should not have the loudness issue that pc + users have complained about?

I have a Powercab 112 standard. I don't have any problem with volume as long as I hit the input with a line-level signal (at least -16db to sound good; -12db should probably be preferred). That is not a problem for most effects platforms but for low-end ones it can be; for example I have a Mooer GE 150 and it seems to only support instrument level output...if you boost everything you can get to -16db but a clean sound won't get there without external help.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:54 AM, talonmm said:

So, if I am 100% happy with my individual helix tones, and do not wish to modify them playing live, then the Powercab 112 will be fine?

Yes for sure. I use the pc on the flat setting, I already have cab settings on the pedal. Some of the tones I have set don't even use a cab setting, just the head. It sounds awesome...

7 hours ago, Slarry said:

Yes for sure. I use the pc on the flat setting, I already have cab settings on the pedal. Some of the tones I have set don't even use a cab setting, just the head. It sounds awesome...

thanks for the reply.  Somehow it turns out, after getting the pc standard - it was not loud enough.  I manually went into each tone and set each one louder by about 7 db.  that seemed to help.

I am also going to use a tc mini spark.  From the output from the pedal board (which includes the hx-stomp) right into the booster and then into the powercab. 

17 hours ago, talonmm said:

thanks for the reply.  Somehow it turns out, after getting the pc standard - it was not loud enough.  I manually went into each tone and set each one louder by about 7 db.  that seemed to help.

I am also going to use a tc mini spark.  From the output from the pedal board (which includes the hx-stomp) right into the booster and then into the powercab. 

I just got my Mini Spark last night and it works great, it definitely boosts the volume from my Mooer 150 to the range it needs to be and doesn't add perceptible noise or color. I set it at 10:00 and forget about it.

• 2 years later...

I have the powercab 112+ and I just got the regular powercab 112 today. The regular 112 sounds like it has way too much low end, and there is no way to fix it. The regular 112 does not have a USB out, so it can't be connected to a desktop. The 112+ is far more customizable, and to my ear, sounds so much better.  I use a Quad Cortex as my modeler. IF you have the extra $200 I'd definitely recommend going with the 112+.