Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Close does it sound? Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer | Line 6 Scream 808

thenickhill81

Hey guys, Today we have a comparison and sound test to see just how close the Helix technology can get to the real thing. We are comparing the Ibanez TS 808 Tube Screamer to the Line 6 Scream 808 pedal model. Spoiler, it sounds pretty indistinguishable. I recorded a couple riffs, first with the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer and then with the Line 6 Scream 808 model inside of Helix or in this case, the HX Stomp. The riffs are taken from my latest single, NAHR-SU-SIZ-EM, which can be found on Spotify, Apple Music, Bandcamp, and everywhere music is sold or streamed.

• Like 1

That was pretty cool, great work.  You answered my only question more towards the end.  I could see the tone setting on the pedal but not on the Helix pedal.  My only question was if the Helix version had a wider range on the tone knob (or others)  if it was a true 1:1 ration between them or if the 0-10 range on the analog pedal was more like 1-8 on the Helix and the 8-10 range gave you 'extra' being that its digital and it can be manipulated. 

18 hours ago, themetallikid said:

My only question was if the Helix version had a wider range on the tone knob (or others)  if it was a true 1:1 ration between them or if the 0-10 range on the analog pedal was more like 1-8 on the Helix and the 8-10 range gave you 'extra' being that its digital and it can be manipulated. 

I have owned and played several Tube Screamers in my lifetime... I have NEVER had two of them sound/react the same on the same settings. We will never experience the exact tube screamer Line 6 used for it's modeling (other than the model itself)... so direct 1-1 comparisons often mean nothing. (this applies to almost everything in the Helix)

That said.... tube screamers (with a few setting tweaks) can be made to sound pretty much the same... and this video is proof once again that it can also be done with a "digital" tube screamer. The difference was no different that two different tube screamers... and in a blind test I would NEVER have known which was which. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I have owned and played several Tube Screamers in my lifetime... I have NEVER had two of them sound/react the same on the same settings. We will never experience the exact tube screamer Line 6 used for it's modeling (other than the model itself)... so direct 1-1 comparisons often mean nothing. (this applies to almost everything in the Helix)

That said.... tube screamers (with a few setting tweaks) can be made to sound pretty much the same... and this video is proof once again that it can also be done with a "digital" tube screamer. The difference was no different that two different tube screamers... and in a blind test I would NEVER have known which was which. 

i agree fully with what your saying regarding analog vs analog comparisons...and to further that, trying to match 'my' TS808' to the version modeled in the Helix and whatever one they modeled...your absolutely right.  

My 1:1 comment was more of a dig/comment on the Axe FX side.  I dont know if the II or the III they came out with are more 1:1 matches regarding knob response/ranges, but in the original versions the amps/pedals often had a wider range of effect to allow you to do things not possible in the analog world.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but it made it harder at times to mimic rigs and setups you wanted to emulate or recreate.  If they had a TS808 with the gain on 9:00, tone at 2:00 and output on 3:00....its easy to assume maybe the pedal version is set to 3/7/8.5 respectively???  But then when translating that to the Axe Fx because 1-10 on the analog pedal really was 3-7, it made it harder to guess where the 3/7/8.5 really was, referring to my example.  Thats all.  

I'd rather have the TS808 match the version they modeled 1:1 (or closely depending on model) and if they want a super TS808, then do something like they did with the Brit 2204 model.  

• Like 1